VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really weird problem. I'm working on my daughter's HP XW4100. The PS2 Mouse just goes dead. I have tried another PS2 mouse and now a Logitech wireless. I have read all sorts of posts online and not found my answer. I have run current AVG, Windows Defender, CCleaner, Glary Utilities, defrag, tried HP xw4100 mouse driver and Malewarebytes. Done a Chkdsk and run: "sfc /scannow"
    I will reformat if I have to but am really curious what the problem is. My best guess is some sort of unfindable, (by me), registry problem. This machine has been through the mill - it had the "Publisher's Clearing House" toolbar on it when I got it. Anyone have a similar problem and fixed it? All sort of anecdotal fixes out there that don't work.
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ps2 ports are fairly fragile and "hot". any unplugging or plugging in components while there is power to the ps2 port can fry them. there is no repair that i know of. try a usb mouse.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Logitech I'm now using is USB. It has not failed YET. I did not know you could fry PS2 ports. I'll let you know if that was it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you say "goes dead" do you mean it works for a while or it never works?
    It could be a problem in the BIOS or the PS/2 port is fried, when booting up enter the BIOS and make sure the PS/2 port is enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is an intermittent problem (I was not clear enough). I will look at the BIOS, have not checked it yet. More than anything I'm curious.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In that case I would say the port has lose contacts or are they are dirty, if you have a can of air I would use that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should also confirm there's no issue with the current user profile ... corruption can lead to device problems such as explained.

Create a new user account, log off, log on to new user account and confirm issue remains ... if not backup affected user account data and delete the affected account.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was an intermittent short in the PS2 port. The wireless USB mouse has fixed the problem. All is well. Thanks.

(I asked my daughter where I can get the "Publisher's Clearing House" toolbar, facetiously, and she said, 'You didn't delete that did you? I use that every day!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From the earliest days of PCs: You can fry a port (keyboard or mouse) by "hot plugging" a keyboard or mouse in.

I'm glad your problem is solved - it's interesting how much we've forgotten about hardware in this USB and hot swappable era.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having a couple of these devices on hand is convient for helping to troubleshoot problems like you just experienced, as well as salvaging PS/2 devices for hardware without any PS/2 ports

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10404&cs_id=1040401
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Follow up to old post: I gave the PC back to my daughter with a new wireless mouse and thought all was fine. Two months later, same problem. I gave her another computer. Took the problem machine: put in new HDD, new video card, two new burners (for fun) and went back to the old corded laser mouse. All is fine. Don't know what the problem actually was. A clean wipe did the trick. Go figure.
    Quote Quote