VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Folks.
    We recently got our hands on a Sonic SD1000 mpeg encoder and matching Dolby digital audio encoder (a big blue box which connects via breakout cable to the sonic card). Were using their proprietary software: Sonic SD1000 v3.5 . Outputting and SD signal from our vision mixer to capture AV on the fly to mpeg2.The capture goes flawlessly, but when we try to "encode" (the next step before it becomes a fully fledged mpv) we get the error message "your system is not licensed to use this feature. please contact your Sonic vendor to purchase it". Now, we have the right activation code (at least everything else works, but it doesnt seem to want to do this last step. I did manage to get it to "encode" a capture earlier this week which didnt capture the audio component, so Ive been starting to wonder whether it might be related to Dolby licensing or some such. But I'm baffled. Anyone who has any ideas, or even for a workaround, would be very much appreciated. Cheers. Jonathan

Quote Quote  
  2. You'll have to contact Sonic (now Called Rovi). It's picky hardware, Not to mention super ancient. It requires a USB dongle and activation codes.....do you have those ?

Hope you didn't spend any money on it.....hardware encoder is in the past.

Encoders today are faster than RT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could need as many as 3 dongles/activation codes: 1 for the Sonic Hardware/Software, 1 for the MPEG Encoding License, and 1 for the DD/AC3 Encoding License.

Plus, that may require Parallel Port dongles instead of USB serial dongles (if it's as old as I think it is)...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi
    Thanks for your reply video poo.
    No, no dongle - didnt come with one
    Any workaround you know about?
    OR..
    can you recommend a good software alternative? I want to capture on the fly and dump the resulting capture straight into dvd authoring for an instant burn. Any ideas
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You could need as many as 3 dongles/activation codes: 1 for the Sonic Hardware/Software, 1 for the MPEG Encoding License, and 1 for the DD/AC3 Encoding License.

Plus, that may require Parallel Port dongles instead of USB serial dongles (if it's as old as I think it is)...

Scott
    Hi cornucopia. Thanks for your reply.
    Is there any way to get these dongles?
    I seem to remember the guy I bought it from said he didnt need them when he was using it, but then it is not strictly a scenarist set up, just the v3.5 encoder
    The software itself is functional as it will capture just fine. maybe theres a way to write some code and make a new usb dongle?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Rovi, which probably the ONLY place you can get the correct dongle(s), will probably get you some...for a price. Likely won't be the full amount, considering you DO now own the hardware (and can verify that with serial #'s etc), but I'm almost positive they'll charge you more than just a little "so you can legitimately transfer the license" or something like that.

Without the dongles, you make get some functionality, but it will be limited.

Forget trying to reverse engineer a software/usb dongle. And the only other way to get things to work would be to use hacked/cracked versions of the software, which I don't recommend either.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videopoo View Post
    You'll have to contact Sonic (now Called Rovi). It's picky hardware, Not to mention super ancient. It requires a USB dongle and activation codes.....do you have those ?

I call bs on this.

Plenty of good hardware still uses hardware encoding. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, for many years doing software encoding on things like various old ATI cards was inferior to a dedicated hardware encoder. I guess if you're one of those "EVERYTHING... MUST ... BE... LOSSLESS" people you have a different opinion.

The original video capture is in real time so if you are not encoding, it really is a moot point that an encoder can go faster than real time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by videopoo View Post
    You'll have to contact Sonic (now Called Rovi). It's picky hardware, Not to mention super ancient. It requires a USB dongle and activation codes.....do you have those ?

I call bs on this.

Plenty of good hardware still uses hardware encoding. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, for many years doing software encoding on things like various old ATI cards was inferior to a dedicated hardware encoder. I guess if you're one of those "EVERYTHING... MUST ... BE... LOSSLESS" people you have a different opinion.

The original video capture is in real time so if you are not encoding, it really is a moot point that an encoder can go faster than real time.
    Yeah....well people still swear by Vinyl and ive seen that cassette tapes are making a comeback too.

Actually if the guy is coming from tape you're correct. I work for the studios and most everything is delivered as files before encoding. "In the past" was a little over the top. I still use my SD-2000 when needed.

Regardless, if the OP didnt get any dongles he was ripped off. Also, Rovi will charge a couple grand for replacements with required support
    Last edited by videopoo; 26th Apr 2012 at 23:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's why I said that. A couple of grand is small compared to $50k+ which was likely the original price! (but is still more than was expected, I'll bet)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. etrotter
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. I'm in Marin County California. Have a Sonic SD1000 card and the audio Blue Box. No longer in use, has been sitting for 2 years. Really don't want to throw it - looking for a new home for the gear - FREE. That's right, totally FREE. Also included is the IBM computer it is installed in and ran on. System was working perfectly last time we used it. Went to software based encoding.

If you are outside the SF Bay Area, then you'd have to pay for shipping please.

So email etinvision@gmail.com

This free offer holds till the end of November 2012. (My way of not receiving emails forever about this gear.)
    Quote Quote