VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,
    I've started the process of copying all my DVD's onto my NAS to free up some space in my livingroom however I'm at a sticking point with the software. At the moment I'm using DVDfab ripper trial version which leaves an annoying logo on the film until you register a license. It's £27 ($45) per year to license which is quite expensive for what it is in my opinion however I'm quite impressed with the functionality.

Do any of you recommend any freeware or software you purchase once without re-licensing every year and at lower cost.
    I don't mind spending up to £30 (say $50) but I'd rather it a one off, better yet, really good freeware.

Is DVDfab really worth paying the extra for?

Ewan
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just copying/ripping is free with dvdfab decrypter.

But as you get a logo you are reconverting the video(shrinking it?). You could just rip with dvdfab and then convert with something like the free vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't realise I was shrinking it until I looked at the format option allowing 75% of the original size.
    I'm trying again without reconverting to see if that stops the logo from appearing. I'm not too worried about file size at the moment, I have 5TB to play with. More worried about retaining the quality.

As far as I can see the decrypter software and the all in one package are the same thing? As long as you don't use any of the features of the all in one then you're using the freeware?

It was the same link and download path for HD Decrypter as it was All in one suite - looks exact same GUI, offering same features. I checked the DVDfab website for a tutorial for HD Decrypter which shows the full product suite loading to confirm what I'm saying. Thought I had done something wrong with the uninstall.

I'll let you know if I lose the logo and if I'm sticking with this SW.

Cheers,

Ewan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the free and paid version are the same program. I use DVD Fab to make 1:1 rips all the time. There are no logos.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all the help guys but so far solving one problem has created another...
    I've just ripped a DVD using HD Decrypter but it's saved the file as a .vob
    My media player only accepts a few different file types so I'm tring to keep it to .avi or .mp4
    Only way I can see of saving the file as a .avi is by using DVD ripper and selecting generic?
    Does anyone know if this feature is available in the HD Decrypter or will I be using part of the licensable suite if I start using these options?

Should I be using the standard features to copy as a .vob then another free program to convert to .avi, .mkv or .mp4?

Cheers,

Ewan
    Quote Quote  
  6. I only use DVD Fab to decrypt the contents and save it on the hard drive. You can then use any software to convert to a format friendly for your player. Try something like Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's also a smart idea to get into the habit of taking "MOVIE ONLY" when ripping with something like DVDFabDecrypter, and selecting only the stuff you want(one audio, no subtitles, one subtitle, etc etc)....less confusion when later converting with programs like HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have just used BDlot DVD ISO Master that is Freeware and it works great. I have used DVD Decrypter for years. I used Nero to burn the DVD from the decrypted file. I just wanted a program that was more up to date. With the BDlot program it makes an ISO file with no restrictions and it will also alow you to record the ISO file to a DVD with out any other programs. I just downloaded it today and have used it to copy 3 DVDs. with no hitches. Hope this helps, Larry
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    lporter1: I doubt MrMcD's media players supports dvd isos if it doesn't support dvd vob/video_ts folders...

Convert to mp4 with vidcoder!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Baldrick ,
    Maybe I should have payed more attention, I didn't notice how he was using the file. Larry
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Cheers for all the info guys - I'll give vidcoder a try when I'm done with handbrake.
    I thought I was being crafty setting my destination directory in handbrake as my films LUN on my NAS.
    So I'm using my laptop and HD Decrypter to rip the DVDs to my laptop then running handbrake which converts and saves the end result in the correct place in my NAS so that my twonkymedia server distrubutes to all the media devices in my house.
    I thought I was ready to rock n roll, but the first attempt has failed - it see's the MP4 but even windows media player won't play it.

So I'll try converting it on my laptop and playing it with windows media player before trying anything fancy - user error no doubt, if I find what's wrong I'll post it for future peeps with same problem.

Cheers,

Ewan
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 on dvdfab hd decypter and handbrake.

If you're already using handbrake I don't see much reason to switch to vidcoder. It's actually based upon handbrake and just uses a different GUI, which is admittedly easier to use at first. I haven't uninstalled vidcoder but I haven't used it for a while either.

The only real functional reason I can see to prefer vidcoder is that the newest handbrake version dropped target file size mode, which is more intuitive if you're new to encoding programs. But I only use constant quality mode now.
    Quote Quote