VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

I have purchased a WD TV Live Hub that has 1 TB of internal storage.

I have about 500 DVDs ripped (actually authored by me from TV Captures of Black & White movies via Canopus ADVC 110). Since the space available on WD TV is only 1 TB, I can place only about 200 DVDs on it.

I would like to compress my DVDs into such a format that I can place more movies on WD TV for watching. Quality should be near identical to the DVDs. All the DVDs are Black & White movies (only a bunch of them in eastman colour) and all are 4:3, sterio audio only.

Which format you would recommend? And also, which free software to use for conversion?

I would be pleased if I can 'convert' the DVDs into a format which reduces each movie to about 1 GB or less.

The WD TV can play almost any format, including mkv, H.264...etc, with the exception of DV AVI, and Real Media files.

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nharikrishna View Post
    Quality should be near identical to the DVDs.
    I would be pleased if I can 'convert' the DVDs into a format which reduces each movie to about 1 GB or less.
    Not gonna happen. That is about 1/4 the size of the original. Expecting "near identical" quality at 1/4 the size is absurd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok. These are not any latest blockbusters, just old black & white movies. So I can settle for reasonably good quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the recent WD TV models like this one can also play files via a network if that is useful to you. And you don't have to use the internal storage. It supports USB so you could put your files on a larger external drive and attach it via USB if you wish. Do get a USB enclosure that contains its own power supply if you try that.

If you still want to convert, Handbrake might be a good option for you. It uses H.264 to encode the video. If your audio is AC3 then I would leave that alone if Handbrake allows you to do that. If your audio is LPCM then to save space you should let Handbrake convert it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. h264 plus the original AC3 audio in an MKV container. 1 GB is pushing it but doable. I recommend Handbrake too. Pick a rate factor (quality level) that you are happy with and just use that to encode all your videos. 18 to 20 is probably a good range. The higher the value, the lower the quality and file size.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Apr 2012 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. jman98 & jagabo, thanks for the advice. I tried Handbrake, with MKV container. Final size is 1 GB per movie. The movie looks fine on the computer screen. Considering the fact that it is compressing an already compressed DVD folder, the quality seems to be fine. Also, I like the fact that Handbrake doesn't require me to merge all VOBs into one single VOB. It directly understands the VIDEO_TS folder structure and does the job. There seems to be a batch feature too.

I will put it on the WD TV and see how it upscales it onto my 40" HDTV via HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Look in dark noisy areas of the video. That is where x264 has it weakness. See the samples in this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345427-Handbrake-Should-i-leave-it-on?p=2156674&vie...=1#post2156674
    Quote Quote