VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been at this for around 2 weeks and, honestly, I've been having a horrible time with this process on a Mac.

Running OS X Lion, bought ffmpegX, and now am having buyers remorse because it's NOT doing what so many have claimed it to do.

I have a ton of MKVs I made out of Blu-Rays. Decided to go that route and sell them due to us getting a whole home networked DVR system that allows streaming of any type of media. Well after 2 weeks I've made all of my conversions, but gained word that .mp4 is a lot better to stream with the type of equipment we have.

Not a problem, I started converting many of the MKVs to MP4 using Permute, and it did an amazing job. But then came time for me to convert those MKVs that need subtitles. Personally I only use subtitles when there's a part of the movie that's not in English, and I burn those in. Permute recognized the .srt, but didn't burn them in. Handbrake saw .srt, but did not burn them in. Roadmovie/Submerge CLAIMED to be able to do this, so i bought both pieces of software only to find out that that's not the case.

So then someone told me about ffmpegX. Said it was all I'd need. Well I bought it due to rave reviews. Even attempted to follow his online guide to the letter...but I hit a roadblock.

ffmpegX is NOT allowing me to pass thru the audio. It grays out almost all of the options and forces me to pick something that mixes the audio down to stereo. I don't want that.

I need something that's going to allow me to:
    1. Keep my 720p/1080p resolution
    2. Pass-thru or at least KEEP my 5.1 surround (The MKVs have either AAC or AC3)
    3. Burn in subtitles!!!
    4. Get prescription drugs to calm down

I thought things were supposed to be so easy on a Mac, but after all of this time I've invested so far (2+ weeks), this has seriously got me screaming.
    Quote Quote  
  2. while ago (may be a year), HandBrake (AC3 PASSthru') and AVIDemux (Audio : COPY) both did the job successfully for SRT subs for me.

There are many free MAC video converters now, capable of burn-in subs, I never tried anything else!
    Last edited by Bonie81; 25th Apr 2012 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    while ago (may be a year), HandBrake (AC3 PASSthru') and AVIDemux (Audio : COPY) both did the job successfully for SRT subs for me.

There are many free MAC video converters now, capable of burn-in subs, I never tried anything else!
    Handbrake, for some reason, isn't burning them in. And AVIDemux isn't working on Lion it seems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have no clue about Lion, i have Snow Leopard.
    it is obvious, the Lion is different than Snow Leopard in many ways!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    I have no clue about Lion, i have Snow Leopard.
    it is obvious, the Lion is different than Snow Leopard in many ways!
    Ended up booting Windows in Parallels and using the AWESOME Freemake Video Converter. I love everything about my Mac, but THOSE guys know how to make a program that actually works. And it's free.

Video converting and encoding, especially in this day and age, should be easy and effortless. The whole point is to watch the content, not spend all day tweaking settings until you die of exhaustion. OSX programmers better get on the ball before Freemake (which has been free for years) comes to Mac and swipes all of their business out from under them.

EDIT: And just found out that after years and years of being hounded by OSX users, that they're finally going to develop for it. Can't wait.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's why Windows users have more choices for audio-n-video editing.
    Every Goodies is ported into mac, who gonna buy commercial-crap-wares?
    Quote Quote