VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a complete novice but I have a .avi file and a .srt file that I would like to burn to cd for viewing on my tv. What is the best software for accomplishing my objective. I need it to be easy and user friendly. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Commercial Solution : DVDStudio Pro or Toast
    Free Solution : DVDStyler

But I wud simply mux srt into avi using avidemux (re-encode to mux) and burn avi on CD, play XViD CD in any MP4 compatible DVD/BD player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you just looking for something to burn AVI+SRT files to disc, or are you actually looking to create VCDs or DVD-Video discs?

Another freeware solution might be Burn. But, if you're merely looking for a disc-burning app, there are a number of choices (freeware and shareware). You also didn't mention whether or not you'd prefer freeware or shareware/commercial software.

Bonie81: Using avidemux that way would hardsub the subtitles. If the OP can use the SRT file separately, that implies he can use them as softsubs - and personally, I'd rather choose that option than have to re-encode the video again and risk a quality hit, even if it's just to watch the video on my DVD player.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. @Ai Haibara

I watch many Foreign Language Movies, I get Original DVD for $1.00 or $2.0 (used) from local disposers. While I back-up or rip, I rip-n-convernt around 1.4GB (XViD+AC3) with English Subtitles burned in on very first convert, so my one DVD contains at-least three movies with nice and ok quality to be played in MP4 compatible BD player. This prevent my original disc from scratching. Recently I watch a Korean art movie, and Chinese Martial Art (Jet-Li) Movie with eng-sub burned-in. So for me AVIDemux is the best option.

If fpunky just want avi files like me, avidemux will serve his purpose. Otherwise SRT needs to converted into SUB/IDX for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd still rather mux the subtitles into the AVI than use hardsubs and have to re-encode - or use XSubs, if I have SRT subtitles. Your DVD player probably supports either method. Thing is, though, I don't know of a way to do either on a Mac (mux a subtitle stream into an existing AVI, or create an AVI with XSubs).

For ASS subtitles, that's when I hardsub, for my DVD player. (Unless someone has a way of creating Vobsubs from ASS subtitles... )

Of course, yes, if you do want to create a DVD-Video disc, that's when everything has to be converted, anyway. But we still don't know for sure if that's what fpunky wants.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. I've had troubles that have kept me from using the computer. I'm essentially looking for a program to take my .avi files and .srt
    file and create a dvd I can use in my dvd player and watch on my tv set. If that doesn't answer your question concerning usage you'll need to break it down for me. Whether the program is freeware or commercial is of lesser consequence that that the program be easy to implement.
    Thanks for the suggestions you've sent and I'll be researching those options. And once again, I'm sorry that I wasn't around to thank you when you made your comments.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I posted a comment earlier, but apparently I didn't submit the reply. Thanks for the answers; I had some troubles and was unable to respond. I have standard avi files and srt files and would like to create a dvd that I can watch on my TV. Freeware or comercial isn't as important as the program being easy. I'll always be watching with English subtitles and once I burn a dvd it's unlikely that I would do so again.
    I will say, that I looked up the programs you mentioned but none of them screamed easy. My eyes glaze over when I start reading about all the video and audio file types and codexes and whatnot. I'm a few decades behind the learning curve. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fpunky View Post
    I thought I posted a comment earlier, but apparently I didn't submit the reply. Thanks for the answers; I had some troubles and was unable to respond. I have standard avi files and srt files and would like to create a dvd that I can watch on my TV. Freeware or comercial isn't as important as the program being easy. I'll always be watching with English subtitles and once I burn a dvd it's unlikely that I would do so again.
    I will say, that I looked up the programs you mentioned but none of them screamed easy. My eyes glaze over when I start reading about all the video and audio file types and codexes and whatnot. I'm a few decades behind the learning curve. Thanks for your help.
    DVD Styler (as was suggested earlier) is probably a good choice then. I tried the Windows version a few months back, but there is an OSX version as well. It can create a playable DVD with menus from .avi and separate .srt subtitle files. Guides may be found here: http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/documents Burn can be used for burning the DVD files and folders from DVD Styler to disc.

From its description, Burn looks like it may convert and author as well as burn to disc, but I suspect DVD Styler is more versatile.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Jun 2012 at 17:11. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help. I'll definitely try DVD Styler. .
    Quote Quote