VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried copying Dual Layer discs with ImgBurn twice. One time I created a disc image, and that went fine. The image created a new disc without any problems.

The first attempt (and the third), however, was done by having the original disc in one DVD drive, and the blank disc in another. I've done this with single layer DVDs before, and it's worked fine. This time, however, a window I've never seen before opened, and it offered three choices.

One choice was to "Ignore Layer Break Options".

The other two, under "options" (as in "layer break options"?) were "Seamless" and "Don't update IFO/BUP files".

I'm not really sure what to do. I'd assumed the layer breaks would be the same on the copy as on the original, so why isn't it happening automatically like it did when I used a disc image?

I have no idea what'd happen if I told it to ignore the options, and also have no idea what updating the IFO/BUP files means, since I wouldn't be looking to make any changes. (I also have no idea what "Seamless" means in this context.)

Can someone tell me what settings/choices to make in setting up a direct disc-to-disc copy of a DL disc to a blank DL disc?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It sounds like the original disc has a layer break in a bad cell, I wouldn't use seamless unless you are certain your players support it. When seamless is selected there will be no noticeable delay between layer breaks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not just one disc. Two different discs have triggered the appearance of the window showing the options. I'm guessing it's something that just happens with DL discs unless you make a disc image first.

I'd like the option of being able to make disc to disc copies with DLs, because the disc image has to be stored on a USB external drive, and it took a real long time for the copy to be made. (My DVD burning drive is USB as well. The onboard drive can only read DVDs.)

Problem is, I don't know what settings to use with that window.

I'm guessing you haven't run into this before?
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you use build mode it will always ask you where to place the layer break, if you use an image it won't if you use the MDS file. The MDS file has the layer break info, make sure Imgburn is creating a MDS file and use that as the source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I do not recommend ever doing what you did. Either you care enough to do it right (make an image first) so you know it will work or you don't. If you don't, then your post is irrelevant. You know good and well what does work and if you're not willing to do it the right way, then just keep trying the "fast" way you failed at until you run out of discs or get lucky and it works.

I just rip with DVD Decrypter most of the time. If your disc isn't encrypted it still works perfectly. It can also still defeat normal encryption as long as it's not that bad sector copy protection that some studios use now. None of the long term members around here try to copy discs in the way you did. That should tell you all you need to know.
    Quote Quote