VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have found that it is impossible top add subtitles to MKV's. I can easily add them to AVI or MP4 but whenever I try to add a SRT or ASS file to my MKV's they never work. I have tried using MKVToolnix to add them with no success. If I "add" the sub to my MKV all I get is a black screen with the audio playing in the background. If I "append" the sub the video freezes completely. I have tried this on different video files with the same results. For a container that is supposed to be the most advanced it sure is lacking when it comes to subtitles. As I have stated MKVToolnix is of no help. If anyone is aware of a workaround to add sub files to MKV's please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never had a problem adding SRT subs to MKV files with MMG from MkvToolnix. What player are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How do you play the video? Software player or standalone media player?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What player are you using?
    I think that may be the problem. I am using KMPlayer. I tried the "added" sub to a newly created MKV using MKVToolnix and VLC player seems to be playing it without a problem. This is odd since KMPlayer is supposed to just as compatible as VLC if not more because of the number of configurable options it includes.
    Last edited by default_user; 26th Apr 2012 at 01:48.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Strange thing is that I can still play the sub file if I import it into KMPlayer after running the subless MKV. This is why I originally thought it was a problem with the subbed MKV file itself.
    Last edited by default_user; 26th Apr 2012 at 02:02.
    Quote Quote  
  6. KMPlayer (3.0.0.1441) works fine for me. PotPlayer, MPCHC, VLC too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you disable header compression by default settings in mkvmerge before muxing?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The version of KMPlayer I used had no problems with header removal compression. But older versions might not work.

Note that KMPlayer has the ability to use internal filters or DirectShow filters. Check your settings.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Did you disable header compression?
    Tried enabling and disabling didn't seem to make a difference on the MKV I was trying to play
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    KMPlayer (3.0.0.1441) works fine for me.
    Well, I don't know what the problem was with the version I was using(2.9) but an upgrade to the current version(3.2) seemed to run everything just fine with default settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by default_user View Post
    Tried enabling and disabling didn't seem to make a difference on the MKV I was trying to play
    It's not as likely to be a problem, unless you're attempting to play MKVs on a standalone device (Blu-Ray player, TV, WDTV, etc.). Then, it may become an issue.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm encoding the MKV for use on the PC but I'll keep that in mind if I need to encode for devices.

Thanx
    Last edited by default_user; 26th Apr 2012 at 02:08.
    Quote Quote