VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All,
    sorry if i'm posting in wrong place,
    i'm completly newbie here and quite in hurry to find a way "to add subbtitles to video file with extension .mov"

bellow info about video parameters
    - video lenght 00:03:28.12 format AppleProRes 422 (LT)
    - sound lenght 00:03:28.08

i've already made my subtitles in .txt format (if neccessery i'll made them once again in right format)

but can't find how to Hardsubbing in video

the final video must be HQ.

Is there any way with "free tools " to do ?

Any help highly welcome

PS. i've tried "search" in this forum, but actualy did not found topic, but it's possible that i did not checked well
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have access to a pc ?

If so , you can use avisynth with textsub() to frameserve into ffmpeg (ffmpeg can encode prores HQ now , or if you didn't mean "HQ" as in prores HQ profile, then you can use another compression scheme )

Supposedly you can hardsub with -vf sub or libass directly in ffmpeg, but I've never got it to work properly
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whether you're on a Mac or PC, the .MOV container file format allows at least 2 types of subs to be added:
    1. Muxed into the V+A streams, or "tracks" in QT parlance, can also be other types of tracks. For subs, they particularly use a "Timed Text" track, which can be imported in with pre-existing timecodes. There are a number of sites on the web that explain all the different featrues of ttxt tracks (and there are a number of them, including Chapter Marks, HTML links, etc).

2. If you create a SMIL formatted sub and name it the same as the movie (except with a .smi extension) and put it into the same folder, it should open up and play along. If for some reason that doesn't work, you should be able to make a 3rd file, a .QTL metafile, that links them together.

Both of these can be done easily with QT Pro and a text editor...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks all for your replays
    With QT PRO i've done my.txt file which look so:
    {QTtext}{font: Arial}{justify: center}{size: 12}{backcolor:0, 0, 0}
    {timescale: 100}{width: 320}{height: 0}
    [00:00:03.00]
    {justify:left}this is my first sub
    [00:00:06.00]
    {justify:left}this is my second sub
    [00:00:10.00]
    {justify:left}this is my 3 sub
    [00:00:12.00]
    {justify:left}this is my 4 sub
    [00:00:20.00]
    {justify:left}this is my 5 sub
    then i did:
    1- Opened the txt file and the movie where I want to have subtitles in 2 different players.
    2 – on the subtitles “movie” playhead is at 00:00, and pressed CTRL+A (Select all) & CTRL+C (copy)
    3 – go to movie , and press CTRL+ALT+V (add to movie), This place the text movie into movie
    4- On subtitled movie, press CTRL+ J to open the movie properties, select the text track and open the visual settings tab
    Go through all the settings, play with them, I can view the changes dynamically

BUT
    when i did as above i see first my subs and when they finished then i see movie

what i do wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hmm...I did the same thing just now (had to fiddle with the Foreground & Background Colors, and the Positioning, and Layer Order, and especially the Transparency setting), but using either Add to Movie or Add Scaled worked fine for me...

Are you sure you had both movies' playheads at the beginning and both movies selected with Select All?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    @Cornucopia

Thanks again for your hint

in fact to copy text i did Ctrl+A / Ctrl+C, but to paste i did only Ctrl+V without doing before Ctrl+A in movie file.
    that makes a problem

now I'm doing following :
    to copy text Ctrl+A / Ctrl+C, and in movie file i'm doing Ctrl+A / Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V
    and it works brillant
    Quote Quote