VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm making a 2-3 minute promotional slidshow about our organization. What's the minimum amount of time for each photo for people to see each photo, but not too long? 2 seconds, 3 seconds?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on what the photo's of. is it a tree, is there something that needs to be read or studied to make out what it is? is it a naked female? you most likely need to examine each one and decide how long YOU would like to see it and go from there.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Exactly what aedipuss said - it depends on the message you're trying to convey , mood and tempo, type of content, if there is animation in the still photos, etc...

e.g. A piece for a serene seniors retirement home might have slow panning photos, slow melodic music, so longer average duration of the stills . But a piece for an upbeat teen dance club organzation might have fast graphics, fast upbeat music, explosive transitions, very short duration for each still.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IME, for a "slide show" with transitions & stuff, 1-2 seconds is short, 3-5 seconds is medium/average, and 8-10 seconds is long. As was said, it's all about the importance of the shots and the mood you want to convey in the pacing. This might be longer that some would suggest, but adding those transitions complicates things, as you have to give enough time for the transition to fulfill in between (or it looks goofy). You REALLY want to avoid looking goofy.

BTW, try not to go down the road that many newbies do of using every FX transition there is just because it's in the palette. Pros know that they should also exist for a reason, and their choice should be dependent also upon the content and the intention. It's like, you don't want a letter or web page that uses 352 different types and sizes of fonts!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would say the three answers above cover everything, so I have nothing to add.

P.S. PDR, I bought Blumental, thanks for the tip on that. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

================================================== ==========
    The ear that hears only five notes may as well be deaf.
    The eye that sees only five colors may as well be blind.

Lao Tze
    Last edited by budwzr; 25th Apr 2012 at 22:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, OCCASIONALLY you can use different types/sizes of fonts!

Scott
    Quote Quote