VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    So, as someone who is mostly illiterate to the subtle technical aspects of digital video, I've been curious about something. I've noticed that some videos at 30 FPS seem to run fairly smooth, retaining a quality from frame to frame that almost seems reminiscent of 60 FPS. Then there are other videos at 30 FPS that seem like they're running closer to 20 frames instead. I like to record video gameplays on occasion using a roundabout method with a DV camera to get 60 FPS recordings, at which point if I want to share them, I'll use VDub to convert them down into XviD for standard-def.

Exhibit A: this video was captured sometime in 2005 (not by me, this is someone else), notice the smoothness I tried to describe. Was likely a WMV file by origin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4AkYd1x424

Exhibit B: this video was captured by me, converted to 30 FPS before submitting to Youtube. Notice that it is jerky and hard to follow during fast motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmpaQedQSa8

I've tried converting down to 60 FPS, I've tried letting Youtube do the conversion for me, different file formats, etc. The problem persists when simply viewing the file locally as well. I'm not sure what I'm trying to get at in describing the problem either, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, or maybe I'm not being clear enough in explaining.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure what type of DV cam you use, miniDV? but they all only record to tape at 30 fps interlaced.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    not sure what type of DV cam you use, miniDV? but they all only record to tape at 30 fps interlaced.
    This is after deinterlacing with Yadif.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this:

AviSource("video.avi").AssumeFPS(60.000)
    converttoyv12()
    super = MSuper()
    backward_vectors = MAnalyse(super, isb = true)
    forward_vectors = MAnalyse(super, isb = false)
    MFlowBlur(super, backward_vectors, forward_vectors, blur=70)
    selecteven()

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  5. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, that is definitely close to what I'm going for. What exactly is going on in that script? Avisynth and plugins make me giggle a bit, it's hard to find out what they do when there's no GUI. ;x
    Quote Quote