VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone know how to easily join lossless AVI files like largarith, Huffuyv, UTcodec, etc?

When I want to create a lossless master file from several large Premiere project exports, the join using "append AVI" never works in VirtualDub or AVI Demux.

Vdub always says: "Incompatible Data Format - mismatch detected in opaque codec data at byte 28 of the format data".

I've heard you can edit the file headers or something with a Hex editor but if that's the case then I need some guidence using the Hex editor in VirtualDubMod. What I see when I open a file for hex editing is mostly incomprehensible to me.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    The mean by opening both files in VdubMod with a single Avisynth script and then saving it?

Well it saves, but not right.

I don't want to re-encode - I want to preserve the format of the source (eg. largarith, UT codec, ect). So I choose "direct stream copy" aftre creating the Avisynth file but Vdub saves the new file as a massive uncompressed RGB file, 6 times the combined size of original source files. UPDATE: it seems AVIsynth doesn't support direct stream copy of compressed lossless formats.
    Last edited by spicediver10191; 25th Apr 2012 at 06:47.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You are not able to join different codecs in one AVI - if codec is lossless then decompresing and recompressing will not change anything - You need to re-encode anyway or to uncompressed or losslessly compressed with only one codec - limitation is AVI container.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You are not able to join different codecs in one AVI - if codec is lossless then decompresing and recompressing will not change anything - You need to re-encode anyway or to uncompressed or losslessly compressed with only one codec - limitation is AVI container.

Sorry - let me explain.

I am not trying to join AVI files that were encoded with different codecs.

Sometimes its two Largarith files I want to join. Sometimes its two UTcodec files, or two Huffyuv. It depends on what I'm using at the time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by spicediver10191 View Post
    I don't want to re-encode - I want to preserve the format of the source (eg. largarith, UT codec, ect)
    With respect but please also explain why You think that lossless codec is lossy - this one is not clear for me - unless they remains same color space there is nothing wrong to decompress, combine and recompress streams.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by spicediver10191 View Post
    I don't want to re-encode - I want to preserve the format of the source (eg. largarith, UT codec, ect)
    With respect but please also explain why You think that lossless codec is lossy - this one is not clear for me - unless they remains same color space there is nothing wrong to decompress, combine and recompress streams.
    Yes you're right, I can recompress/re-encode.

It's just not my preferred method because with large files (60+ minutes) my system sometimes throws up bad frames when I encode with these compressed lossless codecs. By doing it twice I have to re-watch the entire video again and manually remove the new offending frames.

But the AVIsynth method does allow joining, so thanks for that suggestion.

I just wish I could join such files with a direct stream copy - it would save me a lot of time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can try use ffmpeg or mencoder - however not sure what type effect You can expect... and AVIsynth is not able to combine compressed streams - they are uncompressed to RAW format.

Not sure why You use lossless codecs if they are not stable on Your system - personally i use ffdshow huffyuv and i never have problems with wrong frames (what happens sometimes in case of different lossless encoders).
    Quote Quote