VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. After all this six or seven months,i have another problem in MKV to DVD Conversion,

i use Convertxtodvd ,that work fine last six months but know when i convert MKV to DVD
    their is problem in video, some time video will stop then run in forward,
    that's happen after every 10 to 20 min.,and some time subtitles are not shown (so i guess fps is problem because my MKV file is 23.976 and i converted in 29.976)
    so still i trust in Convertxtodvd but any other option or solution on that.....................
    "The Strongest people aren't always the people who win,but the people who don't give up when they lose"
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try avstodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. avstodvd is working on win7 (because i read comment on issue of win7)
    "The Strongest people aren't always the people who win,but the people who don't give up when they lose"
    Quote Quote  
  4. okkkk i use avstodvd is working like charm for MP4 & AVI, (just take 1 & half hour to a make DVD)
    but for MKV ........ their is a problem,
    take more than 9 hours to make 4 GB DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm. I haven`t used avstodvd lately (I yanked everything that uses 3rd party codecs) but I don`t remember any problems with mkv. The only real fault I had with it was once when I upgraded it didn't work. Turns out you should not only uninstall avstodvd before upgrading, which I do in general, but also the other programs it uses and installs. Not aften ... that's been abandonware for years.

However, while I didn't have a lot of problems with it, I've noticed that its support thread is one of the busiest threads on this forum, and that makes me nervous. The developer also has recommended users manually change windows registry items. That made me extremely nervous. No professional would ever do that.

Actually I haven`t burnt video to dvd for a while. Too much of a pain, computers usually come with digital video out nowadays. But avstodvd was the only source to dvd folder/iso program I could find that worked with almost any video.

If I was to do burn video now I'd use DVD Styler to author the dvd structure files but not for encoding. It doesn't do that very well. I'd use avidemux 2.6 (get the latest build) to convert to dvd compliant mpeg. 2.6 handles h.264 much better.

And both avidemux and DVDstyler are linux ports that don't need codecs that take over your whole computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Hmm. I haven`t used avstodvd lately (I yanked everything that uses 3rd party codecs) but I don`t remember any problems with mkv. The only real fault I had with it was once when I upgraded it didn't work. Turns out you should not only uninstall avstodvd before upgrading, which I do in general, but also the other programs it uses and installs. Not aften ... that's been abandonware for years.

However, while I didn't have a lot of problems with it, I've noticed that its support thread is one of the busiest threads on this forum, and that makes me nervous. The developer also has recommended users manually change windows registry items. That made me extremely nervous. No professional would ever do that.
    And in fact, AVStoDVD does not claim to be a professional program, but it is an open source software continuously in development thanks to the hundreds of feedbacks of proactive users (mainly from VideoHelp and Doom9). That's why the official thread is so busy...

Please do stop to say that AVStoDVD installs "weird" codecs. It is not true. AVStoDVD installs AviSynth, that is a frameserving utility, and gives the user the option to install Haali Media Splitter (that is a mp4/mkv splitter, not a codec) and Mkvtoolnix (utility to manage mkv files). All of those great softwares (again, not codecs) can be easily removed using their uninstaller, as well as AVStoDVD.

Moreover I usually suggest to install ffdshow as unique codecs suite, but ffdshow does not come with AVStoDVD installer package.

I will gratefully accept any suggestions from you how to make AVStoDVD more easy to use and more user oriented, but please use the offical thread for that purpose.

@ashe09

do you still have the log file of the project lasted for 9 hours? If yes, could you please post it here?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've described how I do it "by hand" using QuEnc. See this post if you're curious to try it:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345134-Software-for-MKV-AVI-to-DVD-%28disk-or-folde...=1#post2153298

It works especially well if the .mkv already has 640 or 448 AC3 audio. You can just author using the audio track as is.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote