VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. To play 5.1 content on stereo speakers, does one need the media player to downmix it? Some players by default like VLC indicate that 5.1 audio is played as stereo as it uses "windows default" while others like mpc just play it as 5.1 unless you tell it otherwise. Is it best to have the media player or its filters downmix or just have the speakers/sound card do that automatically? using x-fi.
    Last edited by dioxholster; 24th Apr 2012 at 23:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just set the audio to stereo in the creative control panel,it will be downmixed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just set the audio to stereo in the creative control panel,it will be downmixed.
    okay thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. all audio processing since Vista is made by CPU in software even if audio cards is able to perform hardware processing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    all audio processing since Vista is made by CPU in software even if audio cards is able to perform hardware processing.
    ...NOT counting proprietary DSP cards such as AVID/Digidesign's ProTools HD/Accell ($$$$). Those totally bypass the OS's A/V infrastructure and use their own.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Don't have any experience with this particular audio card but seems that it will work outside MS DRM scheme.
    Quote Quote  
  7. is there any way to find out who is downmixing?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    all audio processing since Vista is made by CPU in software even if audio cards is able to perform hardware processing.
    With openal games that support it work in hardware mode for sound in vista and windows 7.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote