VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have a LG Flattron w2253v monitor. I aslo bought a saorview approved set top box. (saorview = irish free to air digital television)

I connect the 2 with HDMI.

It worked perfect first time, 720p and 1080i.

But since then randomly it will not work. The monitor says HDMI power saving mode. i read somewhere about pin19 on HDMI, so I plucked that bad boy out. Still no good.

However, my neighbour's PC will work connected via HDMI to the monitor, and then my set top box will work after! Then unplug the lot and it won't work when plugged back in.

This is really annoying. maybe I need to cut pin 19 wire altogether? If so are they color coded? Could someone give me the short and nasty of HDMI pins and which one does power saving/handshake/tickling that might cause the monitor not to hear the set top box?

All help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Look at me go...

http://www.blueechosolutions.com/info/hd-ez-lock/repairing-damaged-hdmi-cable/

so no color coding and i dont have a multi meter with me. looks like no tv tonight...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing in the LG Flattron w2253v spec suggests support for 1080i, only 720p/1080p. Computer monitors generally don't support interlace.

Get 720p working first. Then if your set top box supports 1080p out, try that.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for the reply.

Here's the wierd thing.

If i unplug the vga and connect the set top box alone I can get it to work. But it requires me to have the set top box on and on a channel before I change source to hdmi. I have murdered the pin 19 on the hdmi and now it works as long as both hdmi and vga are not plugged in. Also 1080i displays perfectly as far as I can see.

So if someone else has this problem, plug in hdmi alone and have it playing something. Then change source on monitor. This worked for me. I'll try with a un-molested hdmi cable and report if pin 19 has anything to do with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at the US version of your monitor, and it has analog video inputs like a TV. This means it is essentially a tunerless TV, which is why it works for 1080i input. A typical monitor wouldn't display 1080i.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I have to say I'm very happy with this monitor and although tv isn't quite right color wise, it is easy to watch. The big advantage for me is turning the monitor on its side gives a pretty good A4 of reading.

I suppose mu original problem is just a quirk of my particular set top box and monitor situation. I hadn't realized that hdmi has different protocols and is inherently "different" to vga. Not that I really need to understand it in depth.

Sometimes I need to remember the good old days of trying to clean and get tracking right on VHS, or trying to jiggle an antenna on a roof. Or even, going into town to use the dial up internet.....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I located and downloaded the manual for the UK W2253V monitor. I thought I might find something about disabling the HDMI power saving mode, but had no luck. I guess you are stuck with it.

The UK version doesn't have component video inputs, like the US model I saw earlier, but page A27 indicated that 1080i was still supported for the monitor's HDMI connection.
    Quote Quote