VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

--

Thread
  1. --
    Last edited by MGadAllah; 17th Aug 2012 at 14:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. --
    Quote Quote  
  3. ideally I would go for:

embedding formats: (without the video if no video is available)
    • if the player supports flash: mp4(avc, aac)
    • if the player does not support flash: html5 with webm(vp8,vorbis) or mp4(avc, aac) depending on the browser
    • if the player does not support html5 or flash: wmv
    • if the player does not support html5, flash or wmv -> tell user to upgrade his system
    download formats:
    • mp4(avc,aac)
    • mp4(xvid,aac)
    • avi(xvid,mp3)
    • mp3, ogg vorbis and flac
    so all in all I would create: mp4(avc,aac), mp4(xvid,aac), avi(xvid,mp3), webm(vp8,vorbis), wmv, mp3, ogg vorbis and flac

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  4. --
    Quote Quote  
  5. for mp4:
    • ideally flash (since it supports more advanced MPEG-4 AVC features), than html5 if the browser supports it and as least favored option embedding through quicktime, since quicktime only supports a small portion of the MPEG-4 AVC features.
    for webm:
    • html5 capable browser that supports webm (see post #18)
    for wmv:
    • Windows Media Player, Windows Media Player Browser Plugin or VLC Browser Plugin
    Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  6. --
    Last edited by MGadAllah; 17th Aug 2012 at 14:24.
    Quote Quote  
  7. oh, misread your last post.

Personally, I would probably use my own application (Hybrid) and adjust it if need be.
    Other than that it depends on:
    1. which plattform the conversion should take place
    2. should it be an automated process or should it done manually by a person file per file

for automated processing I would probably recommend to combine MediaInfo for analysis and ffmpeg with x264 for encoding.
    for manual processing I would recommend one of the many GUIs (which supports Avisynth if quality deinterlacing or ivtc is needed)

iirc. google uses for example ffmpeg with x264 (and ffinfo to analyse the content)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  8. --
    Quote Quote  
  9. you didn't answer my question regarding automation&co,.. so assuming you have to do the conversion by hand I would suggest to take one of the encoding guis offered in the tools download section of this site that supports batch processing, x264 and mp4 output, do some test encodes to figure out which quality<>size<>speed combination is acceptable and then reencode all the stuff.

Cu Selur

Ps.: going to sleep now, but there are probably a lot of other folks here you can help out a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  10. --
    Quote Quote  
  11. automatic:
    you set up a system, that is typically restricted in what it can do (compared to the manual approach), that i.e. monitors a folder and when ever a new file is inserted it, or copies and moves an input file once a disc was been inserted or something like that:
    a. analyses the file
    b. creates some sort of workflow that the processing has to follow (filtering, encoding, moving); next step can be done by clients
    c. does some basic filtering and encodes the file (on one or multiple machines)
    d. moves the file to a predestined destination
    Pro: easy work flow once it is set up
    Contra: expensive and/or time consuming to set up properly, normally more restricted and harder to set up

manual: You by hand use an encoding GUI to convert your files.

Sounds like the manual way is what you aim for.
    Typical GUIs for mp4(avc, aac) creation: would be MeGui, RipBot, StaxRip, Hybrid, AutoMkv and a lot of others that are mentioned in the tools section under video encoders (https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-encoders).

What settings or GUI you prefer is mostly up to your liking. As a general hint I would recommend to use the fastest methods available for conversion first to get a feeling what quality/size/speed setting you prefer/need.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  12. --
    Quote Quote  
  13. --
    Quote Quote  
  14. and that's where I'm out, because this would just be wrong, since you clearly do not own the copyright to that material and archive.org does not allow to upload such stuff, http://archive.org/about/faqs.php#Uploading_Content and since I really like the idea behind archive.org I will not help to abuse them.

I'm not even sure if such endeavors are allowed to be discussed here.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  15. --
    Last edited by MGadAllah; 17th Aug 2012 at 14:25.
    Quote Quote  
  16. How can basically rebroadcasting be covered by fairuse? -> sorry, but at least where I live I'm quite sure this is dangerously problematic.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  17. --
    Quote Quote  
  18. --
    Quote Quote