VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to encode my source to h.264 using x264, but I'm not sure what value the colormatrix parameter should have.

The source is PAL DVD from a dvd camcorder, transcoded to DV AVI PAL, imported into Premiere Pro CS3, and finally, frameserved to avisynth through a fake avi file, also called a signpost file.

All I know is that the value of the colormatrix parameter should be identical to the colormatrix of the source, but how do I find out the colormatrix of the source (from signpost) ?

And another aspect that I do not yet understand, is what type of colorspace conversion has to be done in avisynth when encoding signpost to h.264 with x264 ? Or does x264 accept RGB input, and colorspace conversion isn't needed in avisynth ? Or rgb must be converted to something else, based on what filters I use ?

If DebugMode FrameServer asks Premiere for YUV first, and if Premiere returns aYUV, and debugmode serves yuv, does this mean that I should convert to yuv in avisynth, or else there will be a problem with x264, or perhaps some avisynth filters ?
    Last edited by codemaster; 19th Apr 2012 at 23:47.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think you are good to go, not changing anything, you keep SD resolution and you go through out with YUV, perhaps just at the end of your workflow you need to write this line in Avisynth:
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    to get YV12 from Debugs mode frameserver's YUY2

Why do you convert it to DV for Premiere ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Premiere works in BRGA, so you should use RGBA to frameserve out. The initial YUV=>RGB conversion by premiere when importing will use Rec.601 internally. It upsamples PAL DV chroma correctly

Don't let premiere , debugmode, or x264 do the other colorspace conversions whenever possible (so you have control over matrix and interlaced chroma sampling in avisynth). Often they will get it wrong and you will get problems (progressive chroma sampling when it should be interlaced, Rec601 when you should use Rec709 for HD etc...)

Colormatrix() - the filter - isn't required from SD PAL source in your workflow (You typically only use colormatrix when going from YUV to YUV source SD <=> HD)
    Quote Quote  
  4. author of Debug mode frame server says on this page http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/ that server uses YUV if the source is YUV so it is supposedly be better, I use Vegas myself so I cannot try anything
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    author of Debug mode frame server says on this page http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/ that server uses YUV if the source is YUV so it is supposedly be better, I use Vegas myself so I cannot try anything
    Yes it's better if you are working in YUV

If you are doing a cuts only project for DV-AVI, both vegas and premiere will work in YUV. You can smart render DV AVI in both. But if you are doing a cuts only project, might as well use something like vdub.

Whenever you do any serious editing - add overlays, filters, effects, color correction, layers ,masking etc... this causes conversion internally to RGB in either program
    Quote Quote