VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read some about formatting an external drive to supplement the DISH receivers built-in DVR capacity. Wondering if the
    same DISH DVR drive can be used for an external source, such as a security cam when away on a trip?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None of the receivers that I've seen/used will record a standard video input. They only record from the internal tuners and even then only from the Guide. So I would say no.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrlewp View Post
    I've read some about formatting an external drive to supplement the DISH receivers built-in DVR capacity. Wondering if the
    same DISH DVR drive can be used for an external source, such as a security cam when away on a trip?
    Some security DVRs accept an external drive. Are you talking about using just the external hard-drive with the security camera's DVR?

Dish reformats external drives when they are activated to be compatible with the file system Dish uses. You might be able to use the same external drive with a security DVR that accepts external drive, but the external drive would probably have to be re-formatted first, and you would loose your existing recordings on the hard drive. If you wanted to use the hard drive with your Dish receiver again later, it would have to be re-formatted again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrlewp View Post
    With our DISH receivers, they are only able to record content through our DISH guide. You can connect a digital camera with USB connection or an External Hard Drive (EHD). It will allow you to transfer pictures or DISH recordings to another device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok mike H Dish now we are getting somewhere but most usb cameras are so slow and the video is low resolution. I am sure that there is some kind of usb camera that would probably work but my old 722 went into "I dont give a s--- mode" and now everytime I turn it on it wants to download updated software from dish and I dont have it connected to my dish anymore and if I did connect it. itwould just go about 25% of the way and stop. I had a few techs come out and tell me that I would have to have dish ad it to my plan and it just does not make since for me to change the one I have now (HDMI) vs this old one. I have tried it many times and always the same result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly are you trying to do? And whatever "it" is, there is likely a better, normal solution than trying to use hardware for a purpose to which it is not intended.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do? And whatever "it" is, there is likely a better, normal solution than trying to use hardware for a purpose to which it is not intended.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/375771-Dish-DVR
    Quote Quote