VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First, forgive me for any ignorance of NTSC pulldown and reverse pulldown and frames etc. This topic still does my head in!

I have some 29.97fps interlaced clips - of fairly poor quality - ripped from a DVD which I want to to add in a 24p Premiere CS3 timeline containing mostly 23.976fps progressive clips.

First problem:

I don't know whether I even need to remove pulldown or not.

I've examined the raw 29.97fps VOB file in Virtualdub (with allVD processing turned off) and I can see no duplicate frames when I advance frame by frame. The frame pattern I see is 2 interlaced/combed frames, followed by 3 clean frames (2:3 ratio), but none of them are duplicates, unless Vdub is hiding duplicate frames for some reason. When I examine the Forced Film 23.976 version of the same clip, the frame ratio is 2:2 - one of the clean frames is missing.

2nd problem:

I'm having deinterlacing issues - after deinterlacing the video has jerky motion, and in some clips combing artifacts are still visible.

I created 2 test clips for deinterlacing:

1. A clip made with "Force Film" in DG Index to give me 23.976 video
    2. A clip that's still 29.97fps video

Both exhibit some motion jerkiness after deinterlacing, but the 23.976 clip looks a bit worse.

My Avisynth script is:
    AssumeTFF()
    FieldDeinterlace(full=true, blend=true, dthreshold=10) NB: trying "full=false" doesn't imporve the result.

Any suggestions much appreciated. If you have AVisynth script suggestions, please be specific - I'm not to good at writing them.

SD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by spicediver10191 View Post
    I've examined the raw 29.97fps VOB file in Virtualdub (with allVD processing turned off) and I can see no duplicate frames when I advance frame by frame. The frame pattern I see is 2 interlaced/combed frames, followed by 3 clean frames (2:3 ratio), but none of them are duplicates
    What you're missing is that those two interlaced frames contain one unique film frame. The first also contains one field of the frame before it (a duplicate field). The second interlaced frame contains a field from the frame after it (another duplicate field).

Originally Posted by spicediver10191 View Post
    I'm having deinterlacing issues - after deinterlacing the video has jerky motion,
    If you deinterlace you will have a duplicate frame every 5th frame.

Originally Posted by spicediver10191 View Post
    and in some clips combing artifacts are still visible.
    Poor deinterlacing.

What you want to do is inverse telecine. Create the index file with DgIndex in Honor Pulldown Flags mode. Then:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v")
    TFM(d2v="filename.d2v")
    TDecimate()
    That will give 23.976 fps progressive frames.

By the way, if the DVD is 99+ percent "film" you can use DgIndex in Forced Film mode and Just Mpeg2Source() to get 23.976 fps progressive.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Apr 2012 at 19:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This must suck. Can you start over from original source?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Actually, you don't need to remove pulldown in order to edit video. It depends on what you want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hooray, it works. Thanks jagabo.

It's 23.976fps, no stuttering motion and it's deinterlaced the footage perfectly too.
    Quote Quote