VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, this is my first post and I have searched here and on the internet to no avail. I am trying to get the Hauppauge Colossus card to work in my system to do a screen capture/record from another PC. The way that it is hooked up is as follows:

- PC 1 provides input from DVI out through DVI -> HDMI cable. This is from a duplicated output either from the DVI output #2 (extended/cloned) or from using a DVI splittered (powered). PC 1 also provides audio through the 3.5mm audio out to stereo RCA cables.

- PC 1 is providing the display I wish to record. The output is at 720p (1280x720@60Hz). All the latest drivers have been installed for this video card.

- PC 2 has the Colossus card installed. It takes the HDMI in from PC 1 into the HDMI port. The audio in comes from the RCA cables in to the supplied A/V cables.

- The installed software is ArcSoft (updated to latest), WinTV7, and the newest drivers (29361).

- When I open WinTV, it states there is no signal. If I open ArcBiz, it does not see any input. This is after setting video input at HDMI and audio input via RCA.

- When I open ArcBiz and set it to HDMI video and RCA audio, the screen is black. I cannot record, as it doesn't detect a signal.

- I have also connected the component cables through a DVI to Component Video adapter and used the supplied cables (using the 3.5mm as audio through RCA) and still have not had any success.

- I have shut down completely and waited a few minutes to restart, re-installed multiple times, changed cards, and it is all the same result. I have even installed previous driver versions with no help.

- I tried an iPad connected to the HDMI port and it receives the signal properly. When I try to record the iPad, it works but is at 400+ frames per second (through MP4). If I record via one of the other containers, it is 120 FPS.

As you can see, the problem is that the card cannot even see the input from PC 1. Having changed out the card and also from testing out the iPad, I'm pretty sure its not the card. There must either be some software/driver/user error that I am missing. The input is 1280x720@60Hz, which complies with 720p, as supported by the Colossus. I have installed the Colossus card, into PC1 with input from PC2 and still have the same issue.

Ultimately, I am looking to connect to receive the video from PC 1 on PC 2 through HDMI for video and 3.5mm for audio. I am looking to record this video in MP4 format if possible, otherwise any format will work. However, it should record at 30-60 frames per second, not 120-400 FPS.

Any help would be most appreciated, as this is boggling my mind. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome VideoMK

Q: Have you ever had this setup running in the past and are you the original capture device owner ?

Try the following.

Confirm you can receive output to secondary display using this dvi/hdmi cable ... if not then this is one problem to resolve before you can confirm the rest of the setup works.

If yes then set capture on pc2 on hdmi (active) and back on pc1 check and set video settings to "dual output" ... if all's well the system should detect secondary device ... if so enable and check pc2 has input picture.

You may need to confirm with the capture devices manual on settings related to resolution and frequency's support when using hdmi ... if it dose declare make sure pc1 video output is set to these and repeat above section on "dual mode".

If picture now, problem solved.

If no picture using dvi/hdmi cable to secondary display results and cable tested on pc2 was fine, then issue fall's back to pc1's video adapter ... earlier cards with dual outputs had a 50/50 chance of working depending on manufacturers ... not all adhere to design standards.

Before continuing another question ... what is the video card on pc1 ... that also helps figure out problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoMK View Post
    Hi, this is my first post and I have searched here and on the internet to no avail. I am trying to get the Hauppauge Colossus card to work in my system to do a screen capture/record from another PC. The way that it is hooked up is as follows:

- PC 1 provides input from DVI out through DVI -> HDMI cable. This is from a duplicated output either from the DVI output #2 (extended/cloned) or from using a DVI splittered (powered). PC 1 also provides audio through the 3.5mm audio out to stereo RCA cables.

- PC 1 is providing the display I wish to record. The output is at 720p (1280x720@60Hz). All the latest drivers have been installed for this video card.

- PC 2 has the Colossus card installed. It takes the HDMI in from PC 1 into the HDMI port. The audio in comes from the RCA cables in to the supplied A/V cables.

- The installed software is ArcSoft (updated to latest), WinTV7, and the newest drivers (29361).

- When I open WinTV, it states there is no signal. If I open ArcBiz, it does not see any input. This is after setting video input at HDMI and audio input via RCA.

- When I open ArcBiz and set it to HDMI video and RCA audio, the screen is black. I cannot record, as it doesn't detect a signal.

- I have also connected the component cables through a DVI to Component Video adapter and used the supplied cables (using the 3.5mm as audio through RCA) and still have not had any success.

- I have shut down completely and waited a few minutes to restart, re-installed multiple times, changed cards, and it is all the same result. I have even installed previous driver versions with no help.

- I tried an iPad connected to the HDMI port and it receives the signal properly. When I try to record the iPad, it works but is at 400+ frames per second (through MP4). If I record via one of the other containers, it is 120 FPS.

As you can see, the problem is that the card cannot even see the input from PC 1. Having changed out the card and also from testing out the iPad, I'm pretty sure its not the card. There must either be some software/driver/user error that I am missing. The input is 1280x720@60Hz, which complies with 720p, as supported by the Colossus. I have installed the Colossus card, into PC1 with input from PC2 and still have the same issue.

Ultimately, I am looking to connect to receive the video from PC 1 on PC 2 through HDMI for video and 3.5mm for audio. I am looking to record this video in MP4 format if possible, otherwise any format will work. However, it should record at 30-60 frames per second, not 120-400 FPS.

Any help would be most appreciated, as this is boggling my mind. Thanks.
    Just to cover all the bases, have you set up two displays in clone desktop mode on PC #1, at 1280x720 and 60Hz, where the secondary display will actually be the Colossus HDMI input on PC #2? If not, there will be no video output on the connection feeding the Colossus. You can set up a secondary display in clone mode using your video card's drivers, but it needs to be done with the second output on your VGA card connected to the Colossus. Hopefully your video card drivers will detect the Hauppauge Colossus as another monitor. If not, then I don't know what you can do to force output.

Otherwise, is there a possibility that the material you are trying to record is copy protected? If you were to play copy protected material on PC #1, HDCP would be applied to its HDMI output. An HDCP compliant monitor will display a picture, but the Colossus in PC #2 won't display a picture or record if the signal it receives is HDCP proptected. Although in that case, I think the Arcsoft software displays a message indicating that HDCP was detected.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your help. I managed to get this resolved. Windows didn't allow the cloning of the video through the settings in Windows Desktop. For whatever reason, when I cloned/extended through NVidia, it didn't work either. After a reboot, I re-cloned it and it worked. It was always able to detect the Colossus as a monitor, it just never displayed. It must have been a combination of the clone + reboot. I can now extend to the monitor as well. Kind of odd, as I would figure it would work without rebooting. Thanks again everyone for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your setup is rather unusual as the card is not really and truly intended to be doing screen captures. I'm not saying it can't, but it was really meant to do captures from cable boxes, VCRs, game playing systems, etc.

The card contains a chip that has a lot more capabilities than the Arcsoft software makes use of. Right now only H.264 video capture is possible. Audio will be AAC unless you use the digital audio input, in which case it will record in AC3 if that is what you send it. You should easily be able to take what it gives you and put it in an MP4 container. I know for a fact that other video and audio format captures are possible with the card, but someone will have to design capture software that supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In the Arcsoft program, after you capture it and play it back in the editor. You can click to do screen captures. It saves them as .bmp files.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote