VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

When I play music DVD's that are 5.1 DTS, my receiver has a blue light that lights up. When I play single .wav files that are DTS 5.1, is sounds like it could be 5.1 but my receiver's blue light is not on. Is a single .wav DTS file really 5.1?

Any assistance is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm guessing you are talking about the kind of DTS signal that is encapsulated within a WAV file format (similar to DD-WAV). What is happening is that the original DTS compressed signal is packetized & padded to match the standard bitrate of a Stereo LPCM 16/44 WAV file, such as what would be used on a CD. So while the original bitrate of the DTS would usually be 754 kbps, it is padded out to the 1378 kbps expected of that CD standard WAV.

Sounds like your receiver just doesn't interpret those files as correctly as it should.

BUT, if you are hearing SOUND, as opposed to NOISE, your receiver is receiving it correctly and decoding it. So it WOULD be 5.1.

Tell me, are those WAV files set at 44.1kHz or 48kHz? It could be that it expects only one kind. DTS on a Music DVD is ALWAYS 48kHz. DTS-WAV is intended to be authored & burned to AudioCDs and so is expected to be 44.1kHz. If there is a mismatch between what the file is, where it's coming from and what the player/receiver is expecting, maybe that's the cause of the light not lighting.

But like I said, if you're getting music out of it, don't worry too much about it...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

It's a 44.1khz file and the bit rate is 1411. I think the reason I can hear audio is because the VLC media player has the codecs I downloaded, it has a 5.1 output option which I'm using. The sony receiver says it's PCM 48k when the music starts and it says dolby PrologicII. I think it's synthesized not true 5.1. Dang I tried various settings but I'm thinking it's not true 5.1.

Maybe I could try to upsample the bit rate in Wavelab to 48khz, but that messes with the tuning, although there's probably a way around that. I have a DAT which does both. Almost worth the experiment to see if i can get the blue light to work.

Thanks for your reply, I'm open to any other suggestions, if the blue light were to light I know that it would be absolutely 5.1.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    IF that .WAV file contains a padded-DTS stream, THEN you can extract this latter with bsconvert.exe

(OR through eac3to, IIRC)

BTW: the actual bitrate of a DTS-CD is 1234.8kbps, null bytes being added for emulating a stereo, 16-bit PCM @ 44.1kHz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Couple of things:

1. No, you can't upsample without Demuxing the DTS from the WAV, decoding it to uncompressed 5.1, resampling 48kHz, re-encoding to DTS and re-encapsulating it in WAV. No way around this.

2. Didn't realize you were decoding in VLC. Yep, it probably IS decoding & downconverting to Dolby Prologic. So you may be getting a type of surround, but it probably isn't true DISCREET 5.1.

3. What do you mean by DAT? Are you talking about a Digital Audio Tape recorder?

What you want is a player that:
    A. Supports DTS-in-WAV (as well as DD-in-WAV) at either 44 or 48 rates
    B. ALLOWS PASS-THROUGH of the undecoded DTS/DD signal out via the SPDIF (Coaxial or Optical). No Decoding done by the player! <-- Important.

Then your receiver would be the device that is doing the decoding, and would then support the 5.1 (as long as it supports packetized & padded bitstreams). My Yamaha (c. 2002) does.

You could try this to see if your receiver could really handle them:
    1. Take your DTS-WAV files and burn them onto an AudioCD. The burning app ought to see the WAV and accept it as input without converting. If it doesn't and tries to convert, create a CDRWin-type CUE sheet and burn directly with Imgburn.
    2. Play the "DTS Audio CD" with either WMP or your standard commercial DVD player software of choice (WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc), or if your DVD/BD player settop is connected via SPDIF (coax or optical), you could go that way as long as the player's settings are set to "bitstream/passthrough".
    ***IMPORTANT***: Turn the sound down to very quiet when trying this; if your receiver DOESN'T support the packetized/padded WAV stream it will be sending digital NOISE out to your speakers!!!
    3. If it works, you can either keep burning Audio CDs and playing them that way, or you can try the DTS-WAV files directly in the software/hardware player (NOT VLC).

Also, IIRC, there is a Directshow/Ax/ACM plugin that allows setting up your Spdif to pass through compressed bitstreams, and I think you can find it here...

Scott

edit: WOW, look at that! It's right over on the left/main page <-- "AC3Filter".
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 18th Apr 2012 at 18:07. Reason: additional breaking info!
    Quote Quote  
  6. The blue light is on!!!

Jeez, I feel foolish all I had to do was burn an audio CD. I had read about the plugins for players, I used AC3filter too Sometimes the right answer is the easiest one. I did not burn with a CUE sheet, yet, perhaps that would allow me to jump to particular songs versus 1 long song containing all of them? I can actually live with that though, my blue light is on and it sounds WAY better.

Thank you both for the responses! I really appreciate that.

Yes, I was talking digital audio tape machine. Just thinking of ways I could up the sample rate. Really glad I don't have to mess with that.

Jazzsander
    --------
    I downloaded Imgburn, is there a way to include a CUE sheet on an audio CD, taking a guess that may give me track flexibility? - thanks in advance...
    Last edited by jazzsander; 18th Apr 2012 at 22:18. Reason: CUE sheet follow up question
    Quote Quote