VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003
    and start entering the multichannel world.
    Welcome we've missed you!

I've had some form of surround since the original dolby surround. Not pro-logic but the regular dolby surround. I had an nec add on decoder for dolby surround. It was matrixed but worked well. I had it hooked up to a plain old stereo amp.

I had that for awhile before I got my first pro logic amp. I had that until about ten years ago when I got my current digital 5.1 amp. It was just before Episode 1 the Phantom Menace hit dvd.

I've seen pretty much the whole spectrum of surround sound except for the newest hd revolution. You won't regret it
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks! Appreciate your input guys. Will post back on a couple of weeks or so, wen i plan to make the purchase. Take Care Everybody.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay ... for years I've heard it said this way ... if your listening to your system and you want to increase the volume ... and say it is putting out 5 watts per channel ... a noticable increase to your ears is 3 DB ... and to hear the change in loudness ... the wattage output changes to 10 watts in power per channel.
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder ... another 3 DB ... means 10 watts per channel.
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder again ... another 3 DB ... means ... 20 watts per channel
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder again ... another 3 DB ... means ... 40 watts per channel
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder again ... another 3 DB ... means ... 80 watts per channel

... Is this correct ??

the 100 per channel ... vs ... the 120 per channel ... receiver ... hmmm ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest View Post
    Okay ... for years I've heard it said this way ... if your listening to your system and you want to increase the volume ... and say it is putting out 5 watts per channel ... a noticable increase to your ears is 3 DB ... and to hear the change in loudness ... the wattage output changes to 10 watts in power per channel.
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder ... another 3 DB ... means 10 watts per channel.
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder again ... another 3 DB ... means ... 20 watts per channel
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder again ... another 3 DB ... means ... 40 watts per channel
    ... you then want to hear it ... more louder again ... another 3 DB ... means ... 80 watts per channel

... Is this correct ??

the 100 per channel ... vs ... the 120 per channel ... receiver ... hmmm ??
    Not necessarily. While 3db is a doubling of SPL (sound pressure level), wattage by no means is an indication of percived loudness, many mitigating circumstances come into play. Speaker sensitivity, how the company rated wattage of their receivers etc. I've found to get the most from your receiver nothing beats building your own speakers. Be sure to choose quality components with high SPL levels.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Speakers vary widely in sound output at a given amp level (sometimes called efficiency). Also speaker impedance affects the wattage required to achieve a given sound output.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To sum it up ; for a given set of speakers an increase of 3db is a doubling of sound pressure level. This doubling of SPL can not be achieved merely by doubling the applied wattage as speaker sensitivity and efficiency come into play and you have diminishing returns. But if you were to change the speakers to those with a similar efficiency but 3db higher in SPL, in theroy you would have doubled SPL without increasing the wattage.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer using AR speakers with Acoustic Suspension speakers ... woofers ... midrange ... wasn't too happy when AR starting building Speakers systems using ports
    Quote Quote