VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, this is my first post. I am trying to understand the simplest way to take a BD, rip it onto my PC, then burn the ripped file onto another BD so that it can be played in a standard BD player. I have been looking at these forums for what feels like hours and hours and I can't figure it out. I have ripped a video file from a BD, "Avatar" is the movie if that is important. I used "makeMKV" to rip the file and the file is in MKV format. Can anyone give me a simple step by step explanation of how to take that file and get it onto a blank BD? I would really appreciate any help. I have handbrake and multiavchd on my pc now, I don't really have a clue how to use them though. Just looking for the simplest way to do this with the least amount of quality loss. Chapters and menus would be great but if that complicates things too much than feel free to skip it for now. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Anydvd or Dvdfab to rip to hard drive then burn with Imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Welcome to the forums Aterlay.

This process will vary a bit, depending on what format you want for the final product. If you want an mkv file on the disc, you simply need to get the appropriate sized blank blu ray disc and burn the mkv onto it as data. You can do this with a free program called ImgBurn. Not all blu ray players will be able to recognize and play back an mkv file however.

If you want the final output to be blu ray video format, then I would suggest using MakeMKV, but output as files, not as a single mkv file. You can do this by using the backup option. Here is the mini-tutorial over at MakeMKV's FAQ list: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4
    You could also use DVDFab HD Decrypter to decrypt and rip the movie to the hard drive in file format. This section of DVDFab is free to use, and will continue to function even after the trial for the main part of the program expires. The only caveat is that DVDFab HD Decrypter will lag behind the commercial version in updates, so it doesn't always work with very new movies.

If the decrypted blu ray movie is small enough to fit onto your target disc without compression, you simply burn to the disc with ImgBurn. You'll need to set the file system to UDF 2.5, but don't worry, if you don't have the file system set correctly, ImgBurn will ask to change it for you.

Now, most blu ray movies are too large to fit onto a single layer blank blu ray disc without compression. This means you either need to buy the expensive double layer discs, or use a program to compress the movie. I suggest using BD Rebuilder for this task. It is free to use and can produce very good results for you. You can set up BD Rebuilder to automatically burn to the disc using ImgBurn, or you can do the burning manually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just search Google for "How to burn a blu-ray disc". Most of the tutorials will use imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The simplest method has already been discussed, but Kerry56's post may actually have too much information for a newbie.

1) Rip with AnyDVD HD or DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    2) If necessary or desired, shrink with BD Rebuilder.
    3) Burn with ImgBurn. You need to use "Burn files to disc" mode and UDF 2.50 as your setting for this to work.

Please note that BD Rebuilder still has problems with interlaced MPEG and VC-1 video. They got the interlaced VC-1 video thing fixed some releases ago, but now it's broken again. It really pisses me off, but the author makes older versions inactive and forces you to upgrade to a newer version and the 4.x releases have interlaced VC-1 broken again. You can get it to handle interlaced MPEG-2 video by making sure that the Deinterlace option is NOT turned on, but interlaced VC-1 stops it dead in its tracks no matter what settings and options you use. I do not know what type of video Avatar uses, but the main movie will almost certainly not be interlaced. Extra features might be though. Interlaced H.264 is fine for BD Rebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you everyone for the replies. Kerry56 your answer was great, exactly what I was looking for. I just don't understand when people start getting too detailed and too much lingo. jman I appreciate your answer and I understand the difference between progressive scan and interlaced but I have no clue how I would definitively figure out whether a video file was one or the other, and I don't even know what VC-1 is.

I would like the output to be in blu ray format so I'll check out that link for the makemkv faq. Will that method produce a blu ray disc with a menu and chapters and special features etc.. or will it just be you put the disc in the player and the movie starts? Also what kind of video and audio quality losses will be had with this method? Is it lossless, minimal loss or a large loss of quality, and can I adjust that somehow?

Thanks again posters! I do appreciate all the feedback.

On a side note, can anyone recommend any really good quality blank blu ray discs and where they can be purchased? I've never bought any.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If you use MakeMKV to decrypt and rip as files, it will be a complete copy of the movie, menus and all. DVDFab HD Decrypter can also do this.
    The only thing missing will be the encryption.

This copy will have no deterioration from the original. But again, you need to realize that most blu ray movies will not fit onto a single layer BD-R disc without either removing sections or compressing.

If you choose to compress, BD Rebuilder will let you select the main movie only, or you can compress the whole thing to fit onto a single layer blu ray disc. The quality of your compressed movie will generally be quite good by the way. You will always lose a bit of picture quality when compressing, but you may be hard pressed to see it in actual playback.

I recommend two different types of blank blu ray discs, either Verbatim or Smart Blu (made by FTI/Falcon). You can find Verbatim at most online shops that carry optical media....Amazon.com will have them. The Smart Blu are found at Media Mega Mall.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks a ton Kerry! I would of spent hours trying to find all that out and probably still not understood it that well. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hey was hoping I could get just a bit more help from you guys. I ordered some Verbatim single layers blu rays from Amazon and they just arrived. I ripped the blu-ray as files using makemkv like Kerry56 suggested and that seemed to work perfectly. The problem is the files are too large for a single layer and I have to compress them. I downloaded BD Rebuilder and installed it according to the readme file but it has all these errors when I try and run it, so I guess I need a different program to compress with. Is anyone aware of any other simple to use compression programs out there? I plan on using imageburn to make the disc after I compress it if that matters. Thanks for any help here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. BD Rebuilder is what you will likely need to use, google about a tutorial for it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It really pisses me off, but the author makes older versions inactive and forces you to upgrade to a newer version and the 4.x releases have interlaced VC-1 broken again.
    Jman: If you want to use an older version of bdrb all you need to do is roll back your calendar on your computer. When you are done using bdrb change it back to the right date. I have used this method on occasion when I wanted to use an older version.
    Quote Quote