VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I added a 'Mac complete'-package to the Hybrid download section.
    Since some mac users (unlike linux users) really have a hard time to compile stuff.

So would be nice if some of the mac users here could download the complete package and give some feedback if it works.
    Since I'm not really used to deploy stuff for mac, I'm not totally use if I missed a dependency somewhere. (works on my mac mini, but that machine got all the stuff Hybrid needs already installed and therefore would not complain if stuff in the package would not work,..)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At launch: error: "Failed to saveTextTo /Users/case/.hybrid/GlobalDataModelDefaults.xml", then quits.
    (Mac OS X 10.7.3)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the feedback, will look into it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. should be fixed now
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since some mac users (unlike linux users) really have a hard time to compile stuff.
    It shouldn't be necessary for users to compile anything. And I guess that's the difference between Linux and OSX users: Linux users expect nothing works without "compiling" something or other while OSX users expect apps to run properly right out of the box.

If you're going to do OSX development and an app has dependencies, you should include the dependencies or automate the process of acquiring them. It's all in the Human Interface Guidelines (originally published in hardcover in the 1980's) but now available here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/Apple...tro/Intro.html

I do want to thank you for making the app available (now with the dependencies) for OSX users.
    Last edited by rumplestiltskin; 18th Apr 2012 at 14:58.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks. I read the online gui guide a while back, but my problem with developing for mac is simply that I'm not used to debug and test stuff on a Mac OS X system. I'm not planning to style Hybrid the way apple likes it.
    Since I only own one mac (mac mini, C2D 1.8Ghz, 2GB RAM, 200GB hdd) I bought in 2009 and it already has all the tools I use installed and I know Hybrid works there, but I got no other systems to test and see if i.e. tool X has some dependencies I missed,... so I tend to run into problems that might not happen to developers who are used to develop for mac.

You are right that a lot of Mac OS X users seem to expect applications to just 'run properly', they are not used to give feedback, and tend to simply switch to the next tool or just complain. This is fine, but it does help development.

I develop Hybrid in my free time, normally try to add features whenever they seems doable and users ask for them (or I see something I like to try). I help out users that ask me how to do something and I try to stay friendly. (this probably doesn't work always because I'm not good at handling people who just throw demands and indirect insults at me for having the audacity to share a tool that isn't perfect and doesn't costs a chunk of money,... )

--------------------------------

-> Hybrid will probably get better on Mac as soon as I get more feedback on it from mac users.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appreciate your response. I've downloaded the new OSX self-contained app and launched it; no apparent errors at this moment. I'll try a few transcodings, etc. and provide feedback. I will make one minor suggestion, however: The popup help flags (yellow) are nice to have but the text is so small as to be almost unreadable (on a MB Air 13"); might want to enlarge these at your leisure.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Help flags? -> I see, the toolTip texts are really small on mac os.
    The design of the tooltips are OS/Windowsmanager specific and atm. not specified by me.
    (On Windows and Linux the have the same size as the rest of the text )
    -> I'll look into it and change the size for Mac OS X.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dropped an ".avi" file into the app and it complained that there was neither a video nor audio stream. I converted that file to H264 (.m4v) using mp4Tools and then dropped the resulting file into Hybrid. The app is just sitting there saying it's analyzing video stream 0 with MediaInfo. It's been saying that for about 10 minutes; no data along the right side of the window - all "?".

If you have a video that converts properly on your mini, perhaps you can upload it so I can try it on my MB Air with this latest version of Hybrid. Then we'll know whether the app is using tools you have on the mini but didn't add into the OSX package you've posted for distribution. Let me know at your convenience. Thanks.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  10. it's probably a problem with the mediainfo version I added to the package,.. :/
    -> I'll look at it tomorrow (have to go to bed now )
    Quote Quote  
  11. fixed the fontsize problem by setting the font size to 15px (it's a bug in the qt gui designer part that is causing these small toolTips on mac os x).

I also uploaded the new version.

Can't reproduce the encoding problem.

Please do the following:
    1. Start Hybrid
    2. Set Main->Output File
    3. activate Config->Internals->Create debug
    4. load you source
    5. to to the output folder where the output file was set in 3. assuming your user got write access to this folder there should be a DebugOutput.txt which I would need to see what is going wrong.

Thought it was a mediaInfo problem, but the mediaInfo version I used made no problem here.
    I also uploaded a small test.avi which I have no problem reencoding: http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1PBSMAVZCK

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  12. Gumpf, okay after playing around here (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345428-Batch-extract-srt-from-multiple-Mkv-s) I had to realize that all the mkvtoolnix components don't work since they are not compiled statically.
    -> will look into compiling the mkvtoolnix components statically,...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Updated the complete package, now mkvmerge, mkvinfo and mkvextract should work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No good; still the same problems as I described, above, in my post of April 18th. Running Lion 10.7.3 with Perian installed.

Here's the debug output file. I did the same two tasks:
    1. Dropped in that same avi file. (Saw the dialog.)
    2. Dropped in the m4v file. (Hybrid locked up but I was able to quit.)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by rumplestiltskin; 20th Apr 2012 at 11:02.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Please do the following:
    1. Start Hybrid
    2. Set Main->Output File
    3. activate Config->Internals->Create debug
    4. load you source
    5. to to the output folder where the output file was set in 3. assuming your user got write access to this folder there should be a DebugOutput.txt which I would need to see what is going wrong.
    I guess there is still a dependency for one of the tools missing.

On mac most of the tools Hybrid uses seem not to be available as static builds, so the package needs to also include all dependencies, problem is to know which libraries are normally present and which not and which dependencies are not met on the system + on my system I got a lot of libraries that normal systems probably don't have.

It might help if you MacDependencies and check the files inside the Hybrid.app/Contents/MacOS/ folder regarding missing dependencies,... (if I had another mac I would try myself -> phoned a buddy of mine who will do the checks and report to me later today)

Cu Selur
    Last edited by Selur; 20th Apr 2012 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Got a list of missing dependencies that I added now, it it does not I really need a DebugOutput and/or some infos from MacDependencies (simply start it and load each of the files in the MacOS folder and report if one of the dependencies is marked red).

Cu Selur

Ps.: looked into the debug output -> problem were missing dependencies for mplayer (should work now with the additional libraries in place)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another HybridDebugOutput.txt file uploaded. Exactly the same issues as reported before. This time, however, I'm running Hybrid on my Snow Leopard Core i7 iMac.

By the way: I ran the latest Hybrid you have on your website: Hybrid - Mac complete package rev 2012.04.16.1

Let me know what to do next.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Please run http://code.google.com/p/macdependency/ on the files in the Hybrid.app/Contents/MacOS/ folder, there still seem to be some missing dependencies,.. :/ (I might get my hand remotely on the Mac of a buddy of mine, to test stuff myself sometime tomorrow, but till than I can't do anything without feedback regarding the missing libraries)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Okay, seems like the whole adding libraries is far more complicated than I anticipated,..
    seems like the the binaries are compiled with hard coded links for the libraries,..
    -> easiest way to use Hybrid on mac is probably to install MacPorts and with it lsdvd and mplayer-devel and than use the package, all the libraries included are in the system after installing lsdvd and mplayer-devel.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re: MacDependency - Ran it; found a bunch of things that seem to be wrong. The "Warnings & Errors" window displayed this:

WARNING: Dependency was requested from Hybrid with install name /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib but only found with ID name /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib. This is just a warning, since this check is not done by dyld.

Doesn't seem to be a way to export the results to any sort of file that I may upload to you. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  21. No problem, I know where the problem in general is. Problem is getting up-to-date static builds of mplayer&mencoder and mkvtoolnix (which atm. hardly is useable on mac without macports) -> contacted the author and the guy who makes the official mac builds,..
    Quote Quote  
  22. compilation slightly differes on MAC OS X with different OS X versions. Links here,here and here may help! I just give one shot for compilation anything new, if not successful I remove everything, and avoid messing up with system settings and installed libraries.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 21st Apr 2012 at 02:30.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks, but these sadly these links do not help.
    My goals for the next future regarding this are:
    1. hoping to get in contact with the mkvtoolnix mac .app builder to make the mkvtoolnix .app standalone; or otherwise figure out how to compile it myself to make a standalone .app out of it
    2. find someone that builds standalone mplayer&mencoder .app files; or otherwise figure out how to compile it myself to make a standalone .app out of it

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Okay, seems like the whole adding libraries is far more complicated than I anticipated,..
    yes, that always a pain

PS: to know if a binary (or else) was build with dependencies, there is an unix tool:
    Code:
    otool -L [and path to binary]
    this tool says which are dependencies:
    - some are normals (calls to "dylib default system", every user must have them ). Eg: "/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.1.4)"
    - but all local dependencies (=the problematic ones) are displayed with this command too (so you can see which is not "ready for release")

bye

Eg with an "old" version of your app's tool (in green=OK, in red=KO=local calls not releasable):
    Code:
    otool -L […]/Hybrid.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer
    ->
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)
    	/opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.1.0)
    	/opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
    	[…]
    opt is not a "valid default system path" (it comes from Fink or MacPort or something else == user's own installation). All these tools/libraries are not static, you cannot send them to another computer.

bye
    Last edited by Herve; 21st Apr 2012 at 05:05.
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I know, MacDependency is a graphical frontend for otool, problem is that from what I gathered if a binary expects a library to be at /opt/local/lib/ it really has to be there, you can't but it somewhere in the .app instead of having to copy it to the location indicated.
    -> building stand-alone .app files is a pain if you are not compiling everything yourself statically or remember to link against libraries with a relative path that can be mirrored in the .app later :/

-----

is there a list somewhere which libraries are as default delivered with Mac OS X ?
    i.e. what about libgcc_s.1.dylib ?
    Last edited by Selur; 21st Apr 2012 at 06:34.
    Quote Quote  
  26. @Selur
    The beauty of Hybrid is it uses all external, but the best tools like aften, sox, x264, qaac, mp4box and so on... that is what I figured out from win32 builds. I gonna try soon on Windows when I access my buddy's computer. It would be rather possible but bit difficult to solve individual dependencies of all these external encoders and muxers on MAC OS X and Linux.

It would be better just concentrate on win build to take Hybrid to higher heights. At least Windows users can enjoy very nice video converter.

Anyway Windows offers much flexibility in tool selection for Audio and Video Editing, while other OS needs longer route to be followed to reach same destination. Provide more screen-shots and basic start-up guides (like how to rip or convert with audio pass-through or how to achieve target size) for newbies on your web-site.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 21st Apr 2012 at 07:06.
    Quote Quote  
  27. only problematic dependencies are atm: " mplayer&mencoder and mkvtoolnix" the rest I can compile statically or there are packages by others that work out of the box.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Can not re-collect, but particularly Mencoder Developers/Builders had some valid issues for MAC OS X in the past, and as far as I know there is no official MAC version. only alternative is HandBrake CLI or MAC users can use Hybrid with WINE.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 21st Apr 2012 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  29. There are dynamically linked versions that can be installed through MacPorts but I would need a standalone version of it. :/
    Doesn't matter if statically compiled of a .app file with mencoder, mplayer and their dependencies in it,.. atm. the only think that is missing for a Hybrid Mac Complete Package is mencoder&mplayer, the rest is sorted out,..

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  30. Think I got it figured out know. At least otool/MacDependency seems to be happy now.
    Mplayer&mencoder are up-to-date to.

Cu Selur

Ps.: There are probably still some mac specific bugs in the code I'm not aware of, but at least all the tools seem to work fine know and I learned a lot.
    PPs.: things I'm aware of: 1. Preview opens two windows, mplayer -winid doesn't seem to work like it does on linux&windows, 2. current x264 version does not come with ffms/libav support (so enabling decoding through x264 is a bad idea). Both problems should be fixable.
    (removed attachment since I gave up on trying to get a static mencoder/mplayer build working)
    Last edited by Selur; 30th Apr 2012 at 14:05.
    Quote Quote