VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shrug. Finally got tired of a certain media player (Popcorn Hour A300) almost invariably picking non-English audio tracks by default, and no option to correct this. The solution is to take that extra step to eliminate all non-English audio channels.

Thus far, I've been converting my DVDs to MPG files - primarily because of a bug with the PCH A300 which causes blackouts when watching any native DVD format. This process packages all the audio channels intact. What I need to find is a program which can take these MPG files, identify the streams, let the user pick which one(s) to keep, and spit out the result. As MPG.

MMG does this for MKVs. TsMuxer does this for M2TS, TS and Blurays. But I haven't found the app which can output MPG, same as what I start with.

Yes, I could simply convert the MPG to MKV or M2TS, but there are good reasons why I oppose this solution. The PCH A300 has sync issues with MKV. And M2TS (or any other) videos take longer to seek.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I get where you're coming from. But you can either...
    1) Admit that the PCH buy was, in hindsight (not your fault), a poor one and buy a better media player like one of the Western Digital ones. The money you spent on the PCH is gone. Letting that cloud your judgement is not your best plan.
    - or -
    2) Continue to paint yourself in a corner and do all this crazy crap to make the PCH behave like it should.

If you opt for #2, the old DVD Decrypter can decrypt most, but not all, current region 1 DVDs. You can use it in IFO mode (look for a guide) and pick which audio and subtitle streams you want and send the output to 1 large VOB file (go into the settings for IFO and tell it not to split the VOBs). The final VOB will have just what you want and you can convert to MPG with VOB2MPG. That method will accomplish what you want. Maybe someone else knows a better way, but you'd really be better off to just sell the PCH some way and get a better player that doesn't require all these extra steps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Another way is ffmpeg; and if the English track was the same # (e.g like always track #2), then you could even batch process them

Another way might be demux with dgindex, then manually select the elementary video + English track (since it will demux all tracks), then use muxman or imagompeg-muxer to re-wrap into mpeg-ps
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    If you opt for #2, the old DVD Decrypter can decrypt most, but not all, current region 1 DVDs. You can use it in IFO mode (look for a guide) and pick which audio and subtitle streams you want and send the output to 1 large VOB file (go into the settings for IFO and tell it not to split the VOBs).
    I didn't know DVD Decrypter could do that. And I used it a lot. That means I'm blind. ;/ It's too late now, though, because I already ripped everything and it's all either VIDEO_TS or MPG.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I get where you're coming from. But you can either...
    1) Admit that the PCH buy was, in hindsight (not your fault), a poor one and buy a better media player like one of the Western Digital ones.
    Nah man. I weighed the pros and cons and settled upon the A300 because it was the only thing that could play an entire Bluray ISO or folder, complete with full menus. Maybe that's changed in half a year, but it was a bad sign that WD was already behind the times. True, I am frustrated with the kinks which came with new hardware (older PCH devices don't have the two problems I've outlined), but I'd have been quite a bit more frustrated at not being able to play Blurays with menus without also bringing a Bluray player + discs in tow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Another way is ffmpeg; and if the English track was the same # (e.g like always track #2), then you could even batch process them
    Know a good frontend for ffmpeg? Particularly, one which operates more or less just like MMG or TsMuxer? The ones I've checked out both assumed I wanted to encode brand new video+audio, and completely lacked any stream selection. I was forced to assume that ffmpeg actually didn't feature such options.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Another way is ffmpeg; and if the English track was the same # (e.g like always track #2), then you could even batch process them
    Know a good frontend for ffmpeg? Particularly, one which operates more or less just like MMG or TsMuxer? The ones I've checked out both assumed I wanted to encode brand new video+audio, and completely lacked any stream selection. I was forced to assume that ffmpeg actually didn't feature such options.
    ffmpeg is like swiss army knife. If you designed a GUI that covered all the functions it would be dozens of pages long with 100's of buttons and unusable

It's not a common task that you want to do, so I don't know of a GUI that fulfils this requirement similar to tsmuxer design
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look at mpegdmux ... it can take mpeg1/2 and simply remux only selected streams if desired ... it is command based utility.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    The "MPG Tools" of the old TMPGEnc Plus can demux and remux, BUT they are somewhat limited

As a last resort, there will always be mplex.exe
    Quote Quote