VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to delete some parts of home videos encoded with Avidemux to h.264.

When I open the file I get an error: H.264 detected and something about using B-frames leading to stuttering.

I read somewhere that it is better to use Avidemux 2.6 for editing H.264 video. Is that correct?

I also read that I should I only cut the video at keyframes. How do I do that?

My apologies if this has been posted before - I did a search and ended up more confused!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Ahari View Post
    I am trying to delete some parts of home videos encoded with Avidemux to h.264.

When I open the file I get an error: H.264 detected and something about using B-frames leading to stuttering.

I read somewhere that it is better to use Avidemux 2.6 for editing H.264 video. Is that correct?

I also read that I should I only cut the video at keyframes. How do I do that?

My apologies if this has been posted before - I did a search and ended up more confused!
    I tried the program and I also get that message i just click yes when it pops up, Always make sure to have a backup of the file you are editing.
    I use VideoRedo and staxrip to cut out something.. Videoredo is really awesome but not free, maybe you could try Staxrip..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm happy with Avidemux. I just need some confirmation that I'm on the right track.

It would appear from comments received from Jan Gruuthuse over at the Avidemux forum that I am on the right track and that Avidemux 2.6 is the version to use for editing H.264 videos.

I was hoping for a second opinion at this great forum.

So, if someone can confirm this I would be most grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, 2.6.x branch is much better for h.264

To cut on keyframes, use the "<<" and ">>" buttons at the bottom timeline to navigate. This will "jump" to keyframes. Use "A" and "B" buttons to mark in/ mark out
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a bunch poisondeathray! That is just what I needed.
    Quote Quote