VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th May 2012 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th May 2012 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by giggsidan View Post
    Yes, you are right. I forgot how the connections would be made. You won't will need a component video cable for your XBox 380, just the XBox 360 VGA cable. If the HD-PVR comes with all its accessories, you won't need any regular A/V cables. If you don't have a VGA cable for connecting the monitor with the VGA to component converter, you will need one of those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that just a standard VGA cable then?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that just a standard VGA cable then?
    Yes, a standard VGA monitor cable, male on both ends.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks. I had problems with the person saying they were selling the HD-PVR gaming edition for so cheap, so I'll probably try and eBay the standard one. Do you know anything about the different model numbers? I've seen a couple of model numbers so just wondered if there was a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks. I had problems with the person saying they were selling the HD-PVR gaming edition for so cheap, so I'll probably try and eBay the standard one. Do you know anything about the different model numbers? I've seen a couple of model numbers so just wondered if there was a difference.
    Hauppauge uses different model numbers based on region. The languages used for the manuals and maybe the power supplies can be different. You should get the version made for the UK, the 01228 (Regular) or 01440 (Gaming). Otherwise you may have to find an adapter or power supply, and/or download the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok guys I finally got everything delivered and here and I must say I am pretty lost. I've got everything out and I have cables and things everywhere and I can't for the life of me figure out what to put where etc.

Remember I have this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350302393118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2...ht_1466wt_1397

and this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200746792626?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2...ht_6075wt_1397

And the HD-PVR normal edition.

If anyone has the time, I'd appreciate an explanation!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok guys I finally got everything delivered and here and I must say I am pretty lost. I've got everything out and I have cables and things everywhere and I can't for the life of me figure out what to put where etc.

Remember I have this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350302393118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2...ht_1466wt_1397

and this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200746792626?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2...ht_6075wt_1397

And the HD-PVR normal edition.

If anyone has the time, I'd appreciate an explanation!
    1. The monitor, computer, HD PVR, XBox 360 and VGA to component converter should be off. VGA to component converter and HDPVR should be unplugged from electrical outlets.

2. The XBOX VGA cable plugs into the XBox A/V port on one end, and the VGA to component converter VGA input on the other end.

3. There is stereo audio input on the converter, but you would need a female RCA stereo to male 3.5mm adapter to use it with the XBox cable. http://www.maplin.co.uk/gold-plated-2-phono-sockets-to-3.5mm-stereo-plugadaptor-34196 Before buying one, try plugging the XBox 360 VGA cable's stereo audio directly into the HD PVR instead.

If a direct audio connection to the HD PVR doesn't work out, get the RCA stereo to male 3.5mm adapter, and use an RCA stereo audio cable to connect the stereo audio out from the converter to the HDPVR.

4. VGA out on the converter connects to your monitor with a VGA cable.

5. Component video out on the VGA to component converter plugs into the matching inputs on the HD PVR

6. HD PVR USB plugs into your computer

7. Stereo audio out from the HDPVR plugs into your headphones. You need to use the RCA Stereo male to 3.5 mm adapter cable that came with the headset for this.

8. Headset microphone plugs into your XBox controller with talkback cable.

9. Headset USB plugs into XBox

10. Plug VGA to component converter and HDPVR into electrical outlets. Turn everything on.

Do you remember this YouTube video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QkSZl8P-gE It should help you with setup. The VGA to Component converter should be set to output 720p.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st May 2012 at 12:53. Reason: removed unnecessary word
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to skip ahead to the end of this post and to 'Edit 2' because I wrote this whole passage out and then fixed a couple of things. I'll leave it under here though, in case you want to read through it to check I've done everything correctly.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

I've fiddled around with it and got it set-up somewhat like you said but still having no luck...

The VGA cable I bought I have plugged into my converter like you said in step 2. This cable also has two extra connections, a red one and a white one. Where should these be plugged in? At the moment I have what I used to use with my headset... the red and white connection with the green connection on the other end... I have this plugged into the 'left' and 'right' connections on the front of the PVR. Then I have plugged my headset USB into the Xbox and the green connection into the green connection on the end of my red and white cable. The red and white part of the VGA cable I just mentioned, I've put into the head of the red and white cable from my headset. Does this make sense? I am picking up sound fine on my headset, so this means it's worked I guess?

As for getting the picture up on my laptop... I think I've set everything up as you said. There's a 5 connection cable going from the converter into the respective 'in' part of the PVR. There's nothing connected to the 'out' part of my PVR, is this correct? I've set the resolution on my monitor to 1280 x 1024 like that video you linked stated. When I actually run the program on my laptop, I have options for video input which are composite video, s-video, or YPrPb. Also the audio input options are RCA front, RCA back, and S/PDIF. Selecting any of the video input options just gives me a black screen on the preview screen.

Any ideas? Anything I've missed? Actually, I haven't set the output on my converter to 720p... because I don't know how? The converter has a few buttons on it, namely 'mode' and 'sd/hd' but I don't know how I'm meant to see what they're currently set as or change to?

EDIT - Pressing the sd/hd button twice actually seems to have set it to 720p like you said. I now have a picture on my preview screen. All that's left now I think is the audio. My headset produces sound but I don't quite get how to get sound to be recorded also. I do have an extra lead or two which I seem to be not using. Or perhaps I have to buy that one you mentioned. Did I set-up my headset and the VGA lead correctly like I said in the first paragraph?

EDIT 2 - Sorry... I think I've got the sound sorted now also. At least.. I can hear the sound on my laptop no problem. I even recorded a 1 minute video and the sound was fine when I played it back. I guess all that remains is sorting out how I can record my voice while I play? I have the lead going from my controller to my headset, but nothing is played out on my laptop when I speak into the headset. Did I miss something?
    Last edited by giggsidan; 24th May 2012 at 02:55.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the best tutorial I found, although its creator uses a Mac http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBoc8ZDT_w

To record your voice during a Live session, use the talkback cable to connect the headset microphone to the game controller. It looks like you just need to change a setting on the XBox 360 to record your voice as well as those of the other players, as shown in the video. The XBox 360 apparently provides separate volume controls for game audio and voice for some games.

If not using Live, it appears you do not use the talkback cable and the controller. Instead, you record your voice by connecting the headset's 3.5mm microphone jack directly to the microphone port on your computer. You then run an audio capture program, such as Audacity, at the same time you are running the video capture program for the HD-PVR, to record just the microphone audio. When you edit your recorded game footage, a non-linear video editor that supports multiple audio tracks is used to combine the desired segments of the track containing your voiceover with the track containing the game audio. The editor provided with HD-PVR, Arcsoft Showbiz, may work for that, but I don't know for certain.

[Edit]Looking at the tutorial again, It isn't clear to me whether the XBox audio settings shown in the tutorial are just for Live or not. If the audio settings are not just for Live, I guess it would be worth trying the method described above for Live to record a voice-over during regular game. If it produces an acceptable result, it would be easier than recording the voice-over and game audio separately.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th May 2012 at 17:50. Reason: removed repeated word
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to do what you said for Live... I recorded a clip and could hear everyone else's voices no problem, but not my own. The symbol showing I was talking would pop up in-game, but I couldn't hear myself. If I can't get that working then my best bet would be to record them separately I suppose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by giggsidan
    The symbol showing I was talking would pop up in-game, but I couldn't hear myself.
    I actually don't chat much when I'm on xbox live - its usually muted when I do free for all slayer on halo reach - but have you checked how your headset output is set on the xbox?

I know you can do through the headset or the speakers or both. Have you tried cycling through the available options?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to clarify there. Everyone else could hear me in the game... So I was getting through to them and the headset was working fine in that regard... But then I couldn't hear myself talking when I played back the recorded clip. I've set it now as coming through both, but still nothing.

I did upload a video to test how it looks and everything... there's a big green line down the left-hand side though. Any idea how to remove this? Do I have to change the resolution or something?

Here's the vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2jLcfN3ek&feature=youtu.be
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by giggsidan
    Do I have to change the resolution or something?
    Perhaps - you can record up to 1080i with the hdpvr. Try 720p and 1080i to see if either makes a difference. I'm sure you don't want to do sd (480 for ntsc 576 for pal) since you ended up with the hdpvr.

I'd try restarting everything - the computer and the xbox to see if perhaps that lets you hear things correctly. It should work on the fly but who knows, wouldn't hurt.

Normally I'd say that green line was overscan but I watched the clip on my hdtv (my computer is hooked up to it via hdmi) and I still saw it on the left of the screen - with the player set to full screen not windowed).

Worse comes to worse if this is somehow impossible to correct you can crop it and reencode the video to cover the line edit - correction you can select just the active part of the screen and leave off the empty part in the reencoded video.. Any number of editors can do that.

Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yoda is in a better position to help you. He has an XBox 360, and I have none. I can't check the settings for you.

He went almost too fast for me to follow, but it looks like the guy in the tutorial went to "Settings", then "Preferences" then "Voice". The tutorial said to select the option "Play through both" for voice, which means your voice should be audible through both the speakers (connection to the HD-PVR) and headset. If that is what you did, then it looks like there is also a volume control for voice on the same screen. Did you try raising the volume?

Also, I said in my instructions to connect the headset audio input to the HD-PVR's audio pass-thorough. Is that how you made the connection?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th May 2012 at 21:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Did you try raising the volume?
    Thats a good point. I'm not sure if there is an actual slider for the headset volume INSIDE THE XBOX control panels.

However at least on my wired headset that I use there is a manual slider wheel to adjust the volume - come to think of it I'm not sure if thats for the voices you hear while playing the game or your voice for the other people . Could it be you have it too low? Though you should be able to do something with it even if its quite.

I've never done this complex of a setup that you are attempting so I can't fully comment. But I can try to chip in here and there. Good luck.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious to you but sometimes it helps to have a "duh how'd I forget that" moment to realize you missed something.

But usually_quiet is right in that if you have selected play through both it should be outputting simultaneously and everything should work.

--------------------------

One note - check your volume mixer on your computer - right click the speaker icon on the taskbar. Do you have anything muted? Though I guess if you are combining all your audio inputs into one audio input section on the hdpvr it should be all or nothing. But just double check to be sure.

Good luck.
    Last edited by yoda313; 24th May 2012 at 21:48.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did upload a video to test how it looks and everything... there's a big green line down the left-hand side though. Any idea how to remove this? Do I have to change the resolution or something?

Here's the vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2jLcfN3ek&feature=youtu.be
    The green line is an artifact of some sort, possibly from using the VGA to component converter. The guy in this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QkSZl8P-gE mentioned something about having one as well, and cropping it out later. Look carefully at the screen in the video and you can see it too.

You could try setting the XBox's output for VGA to 1024x768, which is what the maker of the converter box recommends. Ideally you would use 1280x720 for true 720p, but the VGA to component converter apparently doesn't support it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th May 2012 at 22:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try setting the XBox's output for VGA to 1024x768, which is what the maker of the converter box recommends. Ideally you would use 1280x720 for true 720p, but the VGA to component converter apparently doesn't support it.
    I wonder if the hdpvr supports 1360x768? The xbox 360 can ouptut that resolution. The other question than becomes whether or not the converter can support it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I wonder if the hdpvr supports 1360x768? The xbox 360 can ouptut that resolution. The other question than becomes whether or not the converter can support it.
    You can see what input and output resolutions the converter supports. They are quite limited. This is an ebay listing for the VGA to component converter used in the setup: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Laptop-VGA-TV-RGB-Component-YPbPr-Video-Converter-Apapter...DLSL%252BSIC.N

Some kind of a converter is required because the OP uses a LCD monitor, not a TV. The monitor has made his set up far more complicated than it would be otherwise, and necessitated making some compromises on the resolution available for the monitor.
    Quote Quote