VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello I have COmcast cable TV and COmcast internet. The splitter they put has a -7.5db going to the DVR and a -3.5db going to my cable modem. For the past two weeks I am getting dropped internet connections. I have a Linksys CM100 cable modem and the "Online" light will start blinking and dissapear for 10 mintues to 2hrs. I don;t know if its the splitte ror modem. I called Comcast a week ago and they did not notice anything wrong with my line.

I have a two way Monster splitter that is both -3.5db, there is no 7.5 db output. Will this be a problem for the Cable TV, the cable modem takes 3.5 so I'm assuming that part is ok.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    [ post removed ]
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 17th Apr 2012 at 20:18. Reason: the OP doesn't pay attention :-/
    Quote Quote  
  3. so -3.5db to the dvr is fine? COmcast has it at -7.5db
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All depends on their gain and equalization settings up on the pole. If you are adding splitters, they may need to adjust the gain coming into the house.

Equalization will affect channel reception across the full band. If some channels come in but others don't, they may need to adjust equalization.

If you are getting dropped internet, return the splitters to the configuration of the original install. If you are still getting drops they should fix it without a service fee. Otherwise, if you altered the install, they will charge you to set it right. If you want to challenge the fees, ask to speak to the retention manager and say you are dumping them for UVerse or Dish.
    Last edited by edDV; 14th Apr 2012 at 01:13.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Blah. got another splitter from COmcast, it still drops the internet conenction, will buy new cable modem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Own your own DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem and avoid paying monthly rent
    Comcast is using DOCSIS 3 now, so that could be a problem. This works for Motorola: type http://192.168.100.1/ into your browser. That will open the set up pages. go to 'Signal Strength'. Downstream should be between +5dB and -10dB. Upstream between 30dB and 55dB. If they aren't in that range post me the actual values.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Status
    Comment Acquire Downstream Channel 729000000 HzLocked Connectivity State OKOperational Boot State OKOperational Security EnabledBPI+
    Downstream Channel
    Lock Status Operational Modulation 256QAM Channel ID 3 Provisioned Rate Unlimited Symbol Rate 41879.195 Ksym/sec Downstream Power 1.0 dBmV SNR 39.0 dB
    Upstream Channel
    Lock Status Operational Modulation 64QAM Channel ID 3 Provisioned Rate Unlimited Symbol Rate 5120 Ksym/sec Upstream Power 46.0 dBmV
    Connected Devices
    MAC Address IP Address Connected ToPC-1Ethernet CPE Interface
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    peggypwr1,

did you know that ONLY YOU can see the images stored @ 192.168.100.1?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Comcast is using DOCSIS 3 now, so that could be a problem. This works for Motorola: type http://192.168.100.1/ into your browser. That will open the set up pages. go to 'Signal Strength'. Downstream should be between +5dB and -10dB. Upstream between 30dB and 55dB. If they aren't in that range post me the actual values.
    Many Comcast customers are still using DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems. I know my sister has one, and her modem was replaced by Comcast last year with a Motorola SURFboard Modem SB5101 when the original failed. They haven't replaced the "new" one with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Many Comcast customers are still using DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems. I know my sister has one, and her modem was replaced by Comcast last year with a Motorola SURFboard Modem SB5101 when the original failed. They haven't replaced the "new" one with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.
    Depends on where you live. Here in Olympia, you need DOCSIS 3. To the OP: Your levels look fine. With +1dB in and 46dB going out you can safely use either splitter. Give ComCast tech support a call and see if you need to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.
    Quote Quote  
  11. 7.5dB can be related to diplexer as a part of splitter - perhaps splitter from Comcast have highpass filter that prevent STB RF input against overload by strong uplink signal from Docsis modem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
    Hello I have COmcast cable TV and COmcast internet. The splitter they put has a -7.5db going to the DVR and a -3.5db going to my cable modem. For the past two weeks I am getting dropped internet connections. I have a Linksys CM100 cable modem and the "Online" light will start blinking and dissapear for 10 mintues to 2hrs. I don;t know if its the splitte ror modem. I called Comcast a week ago and they did not notice anything wrong with my line.

I have a two way Monster splitter that is both -3.5db, there is no 7.5 db output. Will this be a problem for the Cable TV, the cable modem takes 3.5 so I'm assuming that part is ok.
    Most cable companies use a 3 way splitter with one 3.5db and two 7.5db outputs, basically they're two 2 way splitters in cascade. If your link drops and comcast is telling you there's nothing wrong with your line, then the modem is defective.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well I bought a new cable modem a Zoom 5341, Comcast activated it, and the conenction still dropped?? Howveer not as much but it still dropped the connection. So after a new splitter and modem I wonder whats happening?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Unless the comcast rep was BS'ing you or they're having issues with their equipment, it only leaves the line as the problem. Check with some neighbors if they're losing their connection too, if they are, comcast is dropping the connection (maybe, they're servicing their system). If there's no charge, you should get them to send a tech and have him test the line with a meter.
    Quote Quote