VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone > . < I've been using Virtualdub for years now and this is the first time this happened. I was using virtualdub a week ago and it was totally fine then I tried to do a simple encoding today and both video panes are grey. No matter where I put the marker, it wouldn't show me any previews.

And the only way I found to see a preview is by going through the logo filter. But that becomes hard when I have a big file that I want to cut. I can't see where to mark it :\

Can anyone help me?

P.S I used a simple avi file and even tried to use old video files that i encoded with virtualdub :\ still not working. I even tried to download other versions and delete the current one. No results :\
    Last edited by kamepi_chan; 13th Apr 2012 at 12:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. what kind of video do you have loaded? use mediainfo (view=>text) if you don't know
    Quote Quote  
  3. i used a simple avi file and i even tried the old files i encoded last week and it wouldn't show up at all :\
    Quote Quote  
  4. What compression?

For example, if you've fiddled with system codecs, or maybe some software you installed recently - you might not be able to decode it properly = grey screen

Please answer the question
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do you mean what compression I used on the old video? I only use xvid and vdub has been fine with that. I have a lot of video codecs, what video codec would you suggest might have caused this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I mean what type of video compression on the INPUT video.

For example, if it's xvid, and if you no longer have xvid installed on your system or it's corrupted = grey pane

If you cannot open xvid files, try re-installing xvid codec
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try turning off directx support: Options -> Preferences -> Display -> Use DirectX... Then restart.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @poisondeathray - i don't know what the compression is on the input video but it goes to any video that I import in there, it won't have previews. And I still have xvid too since I just used it in formatfactory :\

@jagabo - oops sorry, misread your post > . < trying now
    Quote Quote  
  9. @jagabo - didnt work, it still has no previews :\
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by kamepi_chan View Post
    @poisondeathray - i don't know what the compression is on the input video but it goes to any video that I import in there, it won't have previews. And I still have xvid too since I just used it in formatfactory :\
    That doesn't necessarily indicate anything, because format factory uses ffmpeg and libxvid for xvid . It doesn't rely on system installed codecs (VFW or Directshow)

vdub uses xvidvfw.dll (it's a different system)

With the file loaded in vdub, use file=>file information

Or just answer the original question using mediainfo ...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mmkay, so i did both mediainfo and vdub and this is what it said

Quote Quote  
  12. Try downloading a new version of vdub in a different folder
    Quote Quote  
  13. done that already :\ i came across this

i loaded GSpot and it has:

is this somewhat related to it?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Probably unrelated, because that refers to AC3 audio , and your audio is MP3
    Quote Quote  
  15. hmm ="= i seriously don't know what happened :\ is it safe to say that whats causing this are codecs? i can just try and uninstall some codecs that i dont need and maybe it'll help?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Try Video -> Color Depth -> Decompression format -> 24 bit RGB
    Quote Quote  
  17. @jagabo - didnt work either :\
    Quote Quote  
  18. Can you see this AVI file (ZIP archive)?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. I doubt it will help, but you could install ac3filter

Can you open the video in avidemux or mpchc ? ie. does the video actually work/play ok in other programs?
    Quote Quote  
  20. @jagabo - opened it in vdub, still grey video panes.

@poisondeathray - totally. It works in vlc, media player and GOM :\
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by kamepi_chan View Post
    @jagabo - opened it in vdub, still grey video panes.
    Then the problem isn't with codecs. It's a display issue.
    Quote Quote  
  22. @jagabo - if its a display issue, then its virtualdub that has a problem?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Did you try rebooting?

As a workaround, you can use avidemux to edit & encode until you get vdub sorted out
    Quote Quote  
  24. In VirtualDub check View -> Input Pane, and View -> Output Pane.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I was myself also puzzled when my virtualdub panes turned to grey.
    None the tips I found in this page could fix the problem.'except this last one #24, maybe...)
    After a few days with a disabled virtualdub (which I use a lot) I eventually found that 'Input Video Pane' and 'Output Video Pane' in 'View' menu, were just....SWITCHED OFF.........

I guess this could have also fixed the problem 'kamepi_chan' experienced when he posted this thread....
    Quote Quote