VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have just installed a new computer and decided to BUY AVAST rather than using AVAST FREE as I have been doing for the last 2/3 years. I installed the App and now find the App failed to install and it would seem when I eventually do receive the App it will only be for 12 months. I believed AVAST was a USA company however it would seem they are a German Company. Buying this App is the worst decision I have ever made on-line, I feel violated.

I'm in my 70's and feel like an absolute fool, has any other member had an experience like this ???
    Last edited by blinky88; 13th Apr 2012 at 12:05. Reason: typing error
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Avast is a Czech company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast!

Most paid versions of AV software are only good for one year, IMO the free ones are just as good. Try installing the free version then enter your registration key.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 13th Apr 2012 at 12:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks moviegeek, I'm now trying ti find other members who have bought the application who may or may not have troubles and the outcome of those troubles.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am no longer on Windows, but, I have used Avast few years back.
    IMHO Avast is not a very good Anti-Virus now a days. It misses and does not provide very good virus protection.
    Even though I bought Avast from local retailer, I had to remove it and replaced it with something better. I did not like it.
    There are plenty of anti-virus software available which are better than Avast and really good, plus FREE!
    Buying this App is the worst decision I have ever made on-line, I feel violated.
    I know feelings, When ever I buy any damn thing on-line, I always buy from original manufacturer even though end up paying little more price than Amazon or eBay. But, most of time I get good deals from local retailers. Last time I bought Kaspersky (Authentic CD version) for $9.99 in a deal from local retailer for someone else, successfully registered and gave updates and good protection for 1 year.

Try to get support from original manufacturer's web-site www.avast.com.
    Contact Details are under:-
    AVAST Software a.s.
    Alwil software
    Prubezna 76
    Praha 10 110 00
    CZ
    Tel: +420 2 74005 666 fax: +420 2 74005 555

If you fail to get required support, toss it and install something better than Avast and which is Free For Personal Use.
    Either commercial edition or free edition of Avast is not worth installing. unidentified virus might be sitting in your computer.
    Just in case, to remove Avast completely to need Avast Remover from www.avast.com
    Someone here can suggest you better and free options than avast.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 13th Apr 2012 at 12:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've used Avast Free Home on my PC and my wife's laptop for YEARS....never had a problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Absolutely right, I used the free version for 2/3 years, no problems whatsoever. However I deceided to buy on this occasion and it didn't go so well.

I have since downloaded the full Application and the licence number and it is now running as it should. I still wish I had stuck with the free version.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Kasperksy probably is the best one right now.
    MalwareBytes Pro is also quite good.

I dumped Avast a couple of years ago already.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. if you want to get a paid AV try NOD32 .I personally use MSE it's free and it does the job in my case
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've probably overpaid over the years but I've been a Norton user ever since you had to buy them on 3.5" floppy disks. Haven't used anything else. I"m currently using Norton 360. It works for me.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think u can get Norton for free if you have cocast
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I think u can get Norton for free if you have cocast
    you mean comcast?

I think they just have basic stuff. I have 360 for the full package including system maintenance tools and spyware/phishing stuff.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Big fan of Comodo, has saved my butt, especially on the machines in the shop quite a few times.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All virus/firewall software is 12 months subscription, unless you pay for 2 years or more, that way you get virus database updates for the subscription period. The software will still work after the subscription ends but you won't get any virus database updates anymore. Some software doesn't bother to inform you of that fact, just suggests you update the subscription but not really explaining why you need to continue your subscription

Some virus packages are quite cheap to continue subscribing where others really are ripping you off when you subscribe again charging you almost as much as if you were a new user and not a continued customer. Have a look for coupons of discount codes when this happens you can save quite a lot sometimes, even as a new customer. Its sometimes worth using a discount code and installing new virus/firewall software and saving money for 12 months. I bought another 12 months on my virus/firewall package for 50% discount last time I subscribed and was literally just about to pay full price but thought I'd have a look for a discount coupon, as I'm in UK some of these only work for certain countries so wasn't expecting them to work

The free virus/firewall software works perfectly well for most home users, the paid version include extra features such as phising, spyware, adware, malware scanning or protecting your bank details with extra security if you bank online, but if you are sensible with basic security then most free packages are fine
    Quote Quote  
  14. Good one (very good engine) is Dr.Web (Russian but not Kaspersky) second very good is NOD32 - select or NOD32 or Dr.Web as main antivirus and use second engine as occasional scanner only (Dr.Web have free home scanner named CureIt - highly recommended).
    Avoid Kaspersky (some people says that Kaspersky works with Russian government - probably this is rumor but more important is that lot of people complain about Kaspersky - previously good software now large, overbloated mambojumbo), avoid Norton - it makes so many changes in Your system that at some point only new, fresh installation can help (Symantec is poor company for home users - mostly focusing on large companies with remote administration desk support).

NOD32+Dr.Web IMHO this 100% virus free environment.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I used to be a huge fan of Kaspersky back in the late 90's and early 2000's. It was wonderful back then but it wasn't geared toward the people that Norton or McAfee products were. The UI wasn't all flashy and it was just more advanced and it worked. Kaspersky started going downhill when they decided to compete directly with Norton & McAfee and that is when the bloat began and the flashy UI. While this may have made the product easier for novice users to make use of I actually found that it made my using it less trouble-free. Older versions on an older PC never caused any slowdowns yet on a newer PC with one of the newer versions I found noticeable delays in operations due to scanning (ie scanning of files as they were downloaded & written to HDD). No such issues with other products. It got to the point where I sought an alternative and at that time Microsoft was using ESET NOD32 in their own labs. So, I gave NOD32 a shot. After years of being loyal to Kaspersky I let my subscription lapse and I've stuck with ESET ever since. I normally purchase a multi-year multi-seat license so I can cover my system and two others in the house and the cost is acceptable. Minus a few rare really problematic virus def updates that ESET didn't do enough testing on before release I've never run into any issues with ESET NOD32/ESET SmartSecurity and it's now something like 5 years or more that I've used ESET products on my main PC.

I've tried AVAST and AVG before and just didn't find them to my liking. AVG was always insanely prone to false positives. It seems that it always has been that way. I'm really just not a fan of any of the freeware AV real-time scanning products for one reason or another although Dr. Web CureIt which IS a freeware on-demand tool is superb, however.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It is not matter of personal taste but efficiency of detection for unknown, AFAIR only NOD32 and Dr.Web scoring high levels positive detection of the unknown threats - this is what distinguish good engine from mediocre one.
    Quote Quote