VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to convert a MKV video to DV and burn in a subtitle at the same time.

I have tried doing it using SUPER and it worked well, the only problem was that I couldn't choose any bitrate other than 29xxx kbps which take way too much space. Is the bitrate option always grayed out when using super and outputting as DV or was it just something on my end?

Anyways, I'm looking for another way to do it and am left clueless. I have looked a bit at virtualdub but it doesn't seem to support mkv properly. Does anyone know any program/way to convert an MKV video to DV and burning in a subtitle? (I have to burn in the subtitles, it's not an option).

Thanks for reading.

edit: I'm hoping it can be done in one step, and not 1.Convert MKV to DV, 2.Re-encode with subtitle
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't change the bitrate for DV. You must use another codec if you want to adjust bitrate like xvid codec, mjpeg, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks.

One hour of footage becomes over 104 GB excluding audio (29000 kbps <), is that the standard bitrate for DV or did I do something wrong? It's ridiculously large.
    Last edited by Pie; 13th Apr 2012 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looks like you made a mistake when choosing the compressor. DVavi is 13/GB an hour. what you have is probably uncompressed video. try the free mediainfo on the file to give you a better idea what it is.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. 1) Why DV-AVI?

2) You can use xvid4psp to hardcode and convert to DV-AVI in 1 step (use version 5.x , the 6.x branch is less stable)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    looks like you made a mistake when choosing the compressor. DVavi is 13/GB an hour. what you have is probably uncompressed video.
    No, the mistake is in his calculations...

Originally Posted by Pie View Post
    One hour of footage becomes over 104 GB excluding audio (29000 kbps <), is that the standard bitrate for DV or did I do something wrong? It's ridiculously large.
    You're out by a factor of 8.
    kbps is kilobits/sec.
    104 Gigabits is 13GB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    No, the mistake is in his calculations...

You're out by a factor of 8.
    kbps is kilobits/sec.
    104 Gigabits is 13GB.
    Gavino is correct, I forgot the bit/Byte conversion in my calculations.
    To confirm, DV will be around 13GB per hour no matter what, there is no way to reduce it's size?

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    1) Why DV-AVI?

2) You can use xvid4psp to hardcode and convert to DV-AVI in 1 step (use version 5.x , the 6.x branch is less stable)
    I'm preparing a demo for people who only receive DV material and don't have Closed-Caption support, it's just how it is in this case.

I'll try XviD4PSP, thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have some tips to produce non-choppy DV outputs? I tried super and it's choppy in the same part of the video on all renders. The framerate is native.
    Last edited by Pie; 15th Apr 2012 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote