VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am a total newbie please bear with me.
    I am looking for a program that will rip a DVD & remove both commercials and adds, so I can burn it back to a DVD. I did a Google search & read until I have a headache & succeeded to become more confused…. I don’t have a problem buying a program if that is the best route. From what I read I may need two programs to complete this task.
    Can someone help me please? I feel like I was put in Lamb Chop under ware & thrown in the woods.
    Thank you in advance, I sincerely appreciate your help and advice.
    Lexus
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need a decrypter to remove the encryption and "rip" (copy) to hard drive. Then an encoder to fit the rip onto a single-layer DVD(+/-)R blank. Commercial DVD Video is typically on a pressed double-layer DVD-ROM. Although you could simply rip the original and burn to DVD+R_DL (double-layer blank). But they're more costly. Lastly, you need a burning program that can handle DVD-Video correctly. ImgBurn is the one you want.

DVDFab is a good decrypter and once the trial expires you can still use the free version, DVDFabDecrypter to rip to hard drive. The free version is not updated as soon as the pay version, so you may not be able to immediately deal with newer DVDs having new copy protection schemes. I wouldn't use Fab to compress to single-layer disc though, although you could.

For fitting to single-layer blank,, you can use the tried and true transcoder DVDShrink or re-encode with DVDRebuilder (the latter produces better quality, but is slower).

All the above are free, unless you opt to pay for a decrypter.

Since you're totally new to this, probably best if you do a trial run or two with DVDShrink on an old DVD (Shrink can also decrypt, but hasn't been updated in years.) You can do a full disc backup or movie-only. Follow this very simple guide:

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. As said by fritzi93,

DVDFab (built-in decrypter) or CloneDVD+AnyDVD (Slysoft) will serve your purpose. Both are commercial.
    Try features before you buy!
    May be a single step solution for you!

For fitting to single-layer blank,, you can use the tried and true transcoder DVDShrink or re-encode with DVDRebuilder (the latter produces better quality, but is slower).
    will be multi-step procedures to follow.

I remain silent most of the time coz there are more knowledgeable members here than me, 99.99% your query will be answered properly by them. Plus, I am little bit lagging behind with current updates, so there is no need of me.
    Why not to take advantage of their pin-point solutions with better knowledge?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always there, When needed.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 13th Apr 2012 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with fritzi about dvdfab ... the free decrypter part works well but the encoding/compressing do DVD-5 doesn't.

If fact, I can rip/decrypt to HDd with dvdfab and then encode to a 2 Gb .mkv file with handbrake, and it will look better than dvdfab encoding to a 4.38 Gb DVD-5.

My recommended solution for dvdfab would be to just get the free part of it, then use that as input to DVD Shrink, which won't decrypt newer schemes but does very good encoding.

Maybe dvdfab hd decrypter doesn't update as often as some, but this hasn't been a problem for me.

I also like DVD Decrypter because, while it's not as easy to use as some, and it hasn't been updated in ages, it's very good at extracting portions of the video by chapter. I did this with my Metallica concert DVD last night, then encoded it to something to play with my software player.

Which, to tell the truth, is pretty much all I do with ripped DVDs now. Haven't burned to DVD for a while. For all the pain in the ass and cost of all those DVDs and somewhere to put them, it makes more sense to me to just rig up something to use your computer as a player.
    Quote Quote