VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everybody!
    I've got a problem with my ffmpegx.
    I want to convert a .mov movie to an .mp4 (by the way, is it possible to simply change the ending of the file or something as easy as that, because the mov-codec is also based on mp4 or am I wrong?)
    everytime I click on "convert", it creates a 0kb file and tells me "finished" after one second.
    The strange thing is, that I had this problem with other files before, but everytime after reinstalling ffmpegx it worked! until I quit the programm...

Heres what it says about my last try:

FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
    libavutil version: 49.0.0
    libavcodec version: 51.9.0
    libavformat version: 50.4.0
    Thu Apr 12 18:32:24 CEST 2012
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/xxx/Desktop/The English Patient.mov':
    Duration: 02:41:44.4, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1948 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(und), 23.98 fps(r): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x688
    Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, 5:1
    Resampling with input channels greater than 2 unsupported.Abort at ffmpeg.c:1628
    Can't resample. Aborting.
    /bin/sh: line 1: 8361 Abort trap /Applications/ffmpegX.app//Contents/Resources/ffmpeg -i /Users/xxx/Desktop/The\ English\ Patient.mov -y -threads 2 -map 0.0:0.0 -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -b 3000 -aspect 4:3 -s 1280x720 -r ntsc-film -g 12 -me epzs -qmin 2 -qmax 9 -acodec aac -ab 196 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -map 0.1:0.1 -benchmark /Users/xxx/Desktop/The\ English\ Patient.mov.ff.mp4

Can you please help me? I dont get it!

thx a lot

-ShadeChar
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MP4 is a "fork" of QT/MOV. Based on, but with modifications. They are NOT identical. Sometimes the "file extension rename" works, sometimes not.

Not sure about the CLI switches as I rarely use ffmpeg, but I do notice that you're source is 1280x688 and you're telling it to output 1280x720 with 4:3 DAR?? (1280x720 is supposted to be 16:9 DAR under most usual circumstances).

That could be affecting what's going on.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Resampling with input channels greater than 2 unsupported.Abort at ffmpeg.c:1628
    Input: Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, 5:1
    your output: -acodec aac -ab 196 -ar 48000 -ac 2
    -> seems like the ffmpeg version is to old to properly handle 5.1 aac and reencode it to 2.0 aac.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I thought too that the version could be too old, but there is no newer version besides the one for OS Lion which I dont have.
    I dont get the presets work like I wish. When I tell the program to make a 16:9 video, it still says, that it tried to make a 4:3 and it doesnt work. Also with the soundpresets, how can I tell it not to encode the audiotrack at all?

thx for answering
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    hello? anybody out there?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. But moving you to our ffmpegX section.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    thanks, but this aint helpin me...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ShadeChar View Post
    Yes, I thought too that the version could be too old, but there is no newer version besides the one for OS Lion which I dont have.
    The application ffmpegX uses various unix tools in the background, one of them being ffmpeg. The Lion version of ffmpegX uses the same 2006 build of ffmpeg that previous versions used.
    For conversions using newer versions of ffmpeg, you'll have to go command line or use different apps for now.

Originally Posted by ShadeChar
    Also with the soundpresets, how can I tell it not to encode the audiotrack at all?
    For output with no audio, uncheck "Encode audio" in the Audio tab.
    For output with audio copied from the source (no re-encoding), set the Audio codec to "Passthrough" in the Audio tab.
    Quote Quote