VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stumbled into this discussion when searching for a method of displaying subtitles in a 3D .mkv file. I recently acquired a Samsung UN55ES7500 TV, which can play 3D movies. I had no luck when playing through my (non-3D) DVD player, so decided to see if I could get something that would work through the USB port. I too used 3D Subtitler, and I used the created .sub files with MKVmergeGUI to embed the subtitles in my .mkv file. When I played the resulting file through the USB port of my Samsung, I found the subtitles displayed side by side when viewing the file in 2D mode, underneath the respective side by side pictures. However, when I switched to 3D mode, the subtitles remained the same. At that point I realized that all I needed to do was to embed a normal .srt file in my .mkv file, and the TV would automatically show it at the bottom center of the screen in 3D mode (which it does). It appears that your model of Samsung TV does not offer this feature. However, the exciting result I found was that the subtitles were displayed side by side in 2D mode. If you can find a program or process to hard code those subtitles into your video, I would think that would solve your problem. You might want to go here to find out how to do that: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322307-How-do-i-hardcode-SUB-to-a-MKV-file Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Still i don't understand you.
    If you find a solution that works with internal 3d tv media player and can play 3d subtitles idx/sub or idx/sup please tell it to me with simple words and steps....

A LOT OF THANKS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I realized that if I want to be able to view subtitles on a DVD with a 3D .mkv video, I'd need to hardcode the subtitle into the .mkv file. After some trial and error, I was able to do that, and they display perfectly from my (non 3D) DVD player. I'll walk you through the steps I took, and if you follow them, I think you'll be assured of success.

First, you'll need these programs: MKV Toolnix, MKV Merge GUI, Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 7, and of course 3D Subtitler. You may also require MKV Extract to get your .srt subtitles from an existing .mkv file for 3D Subtitler...

Use 3D Subtitler to convert the .srt file to 3D. Save it as a .sub file - you should also find an .idx file with the same name.

Import your .mkv file into MKV Merge. If it shows a subtitle file as one of the tracks, be sure to uncheck it. Press the Add button, and select the .idx file created by 3D Subtitler. Make sure it's checked, and mux to embed the 3D subtitle.

At this point, you might want to open the file in a media player to check the size and position of the subtitles. They should be located side by side in the video.

Now open Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate and import the new file you've created. Underneath the top row of icons you'll see two drop-down lists - one labelled "audio:" and one "subtitles:". You should see your dvdsub in the subtitle list - if not, press the arrow beside it and select the subtitle. After pressing the arrow, you'll also see an item at the bottom of the list called "Customize...". Select it and a new window opens.

At the upper left of the window, you'll see the dvdsub, along with any other subtitle files in the same directory. Make sure that only the dvdsub is checked, and select it. Below that you'll see an option "Save as subtitle stream". Make certain it is NOT checked - you don't want it saved as a stream. Under that check "Use original style" Now click on the "Apply" button at the lower right of the window, and then "Close".

Choose the correct profile to get the type of output file you want (I use HD Video and then HD - MKV Video) and then select the Video Quality you wish. Press the button with the two circular arrows at the top of the window, and remuxing will begin. Your resulting file will have the subtitles hardcoded into the video (they cannot be removed), and should display perfectly.

Hope this isn't confusing to you - let me know how it works out...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Glad it works for you jongor, however I don't know whether fits79 wants to re-encode his video(s) (this will take time, and they WILL LOSE QUALITY). Plus, using that method may or may not give you much choice in terms of output quality level and/or format.

Burned-in/Re-encoding has always been an option, just not one that most are satisfied with. What if you want to watch it without subs? Then you have to keep 2 copies around.

My previous suggestions on this thread still stand...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I want to make if this is possible my samsung ue40es6100 show 3D SUBTITLES WITHOUT LOOSE ANY QUALITY(RE-ENCODE) OF THE MOVIE.

If there is any way please tell me.

THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to get into arguments with those who are opposed to re-encoding because of quality loss. From a theoretical point of view, I'm sure it can be proven there is some loss. From a purely practical view, sitting 8 feet away from a 55" screen, I can see no discernible difference - after re-encoding I can still see every hair, every pore, every minute detail in high def videos that have that kind of detail in the original. The only drawback I've seen is slight banding in a very few rare scenes. To me, that trade-off is worth having the subtitles display properly with relatively little hassle.

As far as wishing to remove the subtitles at a later date, for me that would only happen if I learn the language they're in, which in my case is unlikely.

Possibly there are DVD players that will display .sub or .sup subtitles - but mine won't.

I suggest you try re-encoding and see for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone still looking for 3D subtitles problem to be shown on LG TV's (most probably it will work with other TV's too), send me a mail, which I will send back all the info required to prepare hardcoded subtitles on 2D or 3D media.
    The info, or application you may say, has been prepared as a word document and about 4 pages long, which I cannot publish here.
    I may have writing errors in the document as English is not my native language, but I assure you it works perfectly.
    Tukya
    aykutakyon@ttmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    In addition to my above notice please note:
    - My TV: LG 47LM640S
    -Software I use:
    - mkvmerge gui (to mux any type of media with any type subtitle)
    - mkv2ac3 (Use it to convert DTS into AC3 5.1 as LG -maybe others too- do not play DTS sound)
    - 3D subtitler (use it to convert srt subtitles into 3D VobSub idx/sob format)
    - Xilisoft Video Converter (use it to convert/hardcode VobSub idx/sub subtitles into the video - I prefer mkv container
    FYI: Xilisoft nearly converts any media to any media
    Tukya
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello guys, i was digging through this thread, because i wanted my Panasonic 3D TV to display subtitles in 3D mode.

I tried with it connected to a home theater PC via HDMI but, when reading from it, there was a offset in the 3D overlapping of each HSBS images and subtitles, so i assumed that the TV couldn't properly play 3D from an external HDMI source.

turns out that the problem was my video card settings were configured to have underscar (basically adding black borders around the display) and the TV was configured for resizing underscan input to fullscreen.

If that's your case, check out this thread http://www.avforums.com/threads/3d-sbs-ghosting-with-htpc.1508556/

hope this helps... (XBMC rules btw)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    You can convert srt to ssa or ass format online at http://subtitle3d.com which lets you choose video format, font, outline, and font compression (only for ass format, of course)
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've hardcoded 3d subtitles on a 3d video file using the above software but upon selecting the 3d setting and playing on my Sony Bravia, there is flickering every few seconds.
    There is no flickering when it's not in 3d mode. I've tried it with both SBS and OU 3d video files.
    Why is this happening and how to fix this?
    Quote Quote