VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    How i can see one 3d sbs(Side by side) or u&d(Up and down) mkv file with 3D SUBTITLES and NOT with 2d subtitles?

Already try to convert the srt subtitle i have for most of the 3d sbs mkv movie files into these two files(idx & sub) and put it at the same folder as the mkv movie file with the exactly same file name as the mkv 3d sbs movie file but my friend samsung ue40d6000 doesn't regonise it at all it show me the movie without any subs even i press the subtitle button or i open the subtitle menu.
    I try to combine these two files idx and sub into the mkv file as the sub 3d subtitle file still without any progress.

PLEASE HELP ME HOW I MAKE THIS 3D LED TV support/see/appear these 3d movie subtitles.

Is there any program that can convert one or many srt subtitles to EVERY SUBTITLE FORMAT TYPE FILE that exist.

A LOT OF THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND YOUR ANSWERS
    Last edited by fits79; 12th Apr 2012 at 05:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How do you know that player and/or tv even supports 2D subs, let alone 3D? Because if it can't do 2D subs, there is no way it is going to support 3D.

Btw, don't count BD3D subs, they are specially formatted for BD3D and don't work right for any other system.

There are ways to use 2D subs, by HIT to accomplish nearly the same thing as the 3D subs - but you'll need a 3D editor like Vegas Pro.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I know that it support 2d because the srt subtitles it regonise it very well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, then make a rendered 2D sub (assuming it's a graphic sub and not a text-only sub), open in a graphics editor and move the sub(s) over to the LEFT by a few pixels (you'll have to play with this to get the Z-depth to the sweet spot of your preference) and save a copy. Take the original (to be used as "Left" image) and the copy (to be used as "right" image) and combine them Side by side (or T/B if that's your intended layout) and then squeeze back down to what would be the original 2D dimension (since the combination file would have one dimension twice as big). DONE!

If this still isn't seen, it could be that your 3D player simply doesn't support subs WHILE IN 3D MODE.

Scott

edit: if it only supports text-based subs, you're SOL.

2nd edit: ...UNLESS you were to fiddle with the sub so that it repeated itself. Example
    Code:
    This is a test sub                    This is a test sub
    If the spacing is right (you'd have to experiment), it SHOULD end up overlaying in FRONT of the video image (but not too far)
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 12th Apr 2012 at 13:21. Reason: addendums
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    So you tell me to edit every single line and split the line half at left side and the other to the right correct?

As you see i try the 3d subtitle programm way but it doesn't work to my firned samsung ue40d6000.

So please tell me an EASY way so i make the 2d srt subtitle see it as 3d subtitle.

Now i try the 3d subtitle with these settings

because before i try the output format : vobsub idx/sub and didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, since you're already trying that app, have you tried outputting to Vobsub format instead and then using another converter app to convert back to srt?

Otherwise, I would guess there is NO easy way to do this...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    No, no i have kept the srt file that i convert to sub idx/vob and now i try the bluray sup output and try to simply put it as an external file with the same file name as the mkv file movie or as internal file to the mkv file and see if the samsung ue40d6000 see it.

I hope to support the pgs file that gonna convert the mkvtoolnix 5.5.0 i use to combine the sup into the mkv as pgs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think we all need to be clear (I'm not yet) about WHICH kinds of subs your player+TV combination can use, and under what circumstances...

For example:
    if your player supports BD subs (PGS), but only when playing BD or AVCHD material, then that is of no use to you if you are trying to play MKV material. The PGS would have to be exported/converted to a format that, when played ALONG WITH the MKV, will still be supported, right?
    I'm guessing that's what you meant when referring to SRT (at least in 2D mode). So that's why I said what I did.

If your player ONLY supports SRT subs (which are text-based), as opposed to PGS or anything else graphics-based, WHILE PLAYING MKVs, then you have to put your subs into SRT format (either externally as file in tandem with MKV using same filename, or internally muxed into the MKV).

So, IF this is the requirement, then you have to modify an SRT such that upon playback it acts as if it had been prepared the same way a graphic would have been prepared: where you combine L+R views and anamorphically squeeze in half one dimension to get the overall dimension back to standard 2D. And this must be one with an horizontal offset such that the resulting playback puts the subs' dimensional plane IN FRONT of the depths of all the background video (otherwise, you get a very disconcerting disconnect in your perceptions).

If you can do this automatically in batch-mode with Text-based subs, great, but I don't think there are ANY auto/batch tools or methods that would work with that (at least yet). So what I was saying was to take the textbased sub, use the graphics-based tool you've been trying (3D Subtitler), output it to Vobsub and then re-convert it back to SRT (using whatever tool works best for this).

Then your source (example):
    Code:
    00:00:20,000 --> 00:00:24,400
    Altocumulus clouds occur between six thousand
    00:00:24,600 --> 00:00:27,800
    and twenty thousand feet above ground level.
    would be converted to this:
    Code:
    00:00:20,000 --> 00:00:24,400
    Altocumulus clouds occur between six thousand             Altocumulus clouds occur between six thousand
    00:00:24,600 --> 00:00:27,800
    and twenty thousand feet above ground level.             and twenty thousand feet above ground level.
    If there's a shorter way around, I'd love to hear suggestions, but I don't think there is just yet...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I don't have any player ONLY THE TV and i use the media player that tv has. so...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Then the player is the TV. That doesn't invalidate what I was asking (just makes the # of variables 1 less). So...?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    As i send email to samsung for that model it tell me that support 3d bluray discs subtitles and with that i know that logical support PGS subtitles that have all the bluray disc.

Doesn't it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the TV has built-in support for BD3D (along with its 3D subtitles) via either:
    1. a built-in Blu-ray drive, or
    2. support for BDMV disc/file/folder structure stored on FlashDrive/USB/HDD

Then one surefire way for this to work to convert BACK from MKV to BD3D (using 3D subtitler to supply the 3D subtitles). To do this you would need to Re-Author to a BD3D-compliant structure (M2TS+SSIF in BDMV root folder, etc). Very few apps can do this (I lean toward Vegas, but I'm not sure even it can support subtitles in 3D). You might be stuck having to go the Scenarist route ($$$$!!).

If that way is NOT the way you want to go, then you'll have to find out just what ELSE your TV supports in 3D mode. Do you know for a fact that it supports MKV at all? Do you know for a fact that it supports SRT along with MKV files (not along with BD3D)?

If it supports the last item, then you should follow my last suggestion...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    So is there any SAFE format type of the subtitles so i can force the samsung ue40d6000 see it as 3D SUBTITLES AND NOT AS 2D SUBTITLE that see the normal srt files.

THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think we may be having a little language problem, so let's back up to the beginning...

Do a test:

1. Does your TV's internal player support MKV files? If no, you're stuck. If yes, go to next question.
    2. Does it support MKV files with ANY type of subtitles? If no - stuck, if yes, next question.
    3. Does it support MKV files with SRT subtitles? No = stuck, yes= next.
    4. Does it support MKV 3D files (no subs)? No = stuck, yes = next.
    5. Does it support MKV 3D files with 2D srt subs? No = stuck, yes = next.

If you made it this far, what you have to do is follow what I said in the posts above and MANUALLY modify the srt file to include the space?& word repetition. Then you're ready!

Is it SAFE? I don't know what you mean...Is it easy? No. Will it get you what you want? Maybe, but that is the best you can get right now.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    01. Yes it did if it doesn't so what the point to make this topic/thread?
    02. It does support srt, ass Based on the manual of this tv(http://www.samsung.com/gr/support/model/UE40D6000TWXXH-downloads?downloadName=FM#) page 247/318.
    03. Yes it did.
    04. Yes it did and if you press the 3D button on remote controll it show the movie 3d or 2d into half left/right screens. By my test it support fine the srt subtitle but at 3d sbs mkv files it shows it as 2d subtitle and NOT as 3d subtitle so...
    05. Yes as i tallied you at 4

Please based on the above tell me step by step what i must do to see at sbs 3d mkv files 3D SUBTITLES.

I have try these files
    http://www.multiupload.nl/D4PIDGC7ZF

With no result at all..
    It played normall all the files as 3d but with no subs at all....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. Because lots of people post here thinking their stuff is doing one thing (based on what they THINK is going on) when in fact something else is happening.
    2. Sorry, "It's Greek to Me". Is there an English manual anywhere?
    3. Good
    4. You WANT it to show a 2D subtitle. I'm pretty sure that, not counting BD3D, is CAN'T support any other type of 3D subtitle, so you want to create a 2D subtitle that is already PRE-FORMATTED to match the Side-By-Side images of the 3D video background.
    5. I'm not going to tell you step-by-step, because there are 20+ different applications where you can edit SRT subs, most all of them competent enough for this job. Pick one and go with it.

Like I said in post #8 above, start with your 2D sub, then on EACH LINE:
    1. Add space
    2. Duplicate the words on the line

Save the file to a new name and That's IT.

The trick is in the amount of spacing, because that determines the disparity between the centering on the left-hand side vs. the centering on the righ-hand side. If there is no disparity (aka BOTH sides are centered in their respective half-screens) this is the same as a standard 2D sub shown in 2D where the plane of the sub resides on the screen plane. If there is positive disparity (positive parallax) it will move the image further and further into the background (behind the plane of the screen image). If there is negative disparity (negative parallax) it will move the image further and further into the foreground (in front of the plane of the screen image).

You DON'T want to have too much positive parallax, because then your eyes are trying to diverge (an un-natural occurrence which causes fatigue/pain) and messes up your brain (how would it be possible to be BEYOND INFINITY?).
    And for subtitles, it makes the most sense for them to be situated IN FRONT OF the images on the video. Since the 3D images are sometimes in the background, sometimes at the screen plane, and sometimes in the foreground (and sometimes multiple places in the same shot), you may have to "RIDE" the spacing to make the subs image FLOAT in front of whatever is going on.
    But of course, you DON'T want to have too much negative disparity either (people aren't used to crossing their eyes that much!!). So there's a limit.
    This limit will vary from film to film and from shot to shot (and you can occasionally push the limit for a VERY brief amount of time).

That's why I said you had to do it manually!! You'll have to make those adjustments ONE-BY-ONE until they seem right for your eyes. It's a Trial-by-error thing.

And don't think that there are any MAGIC WANDS or apps that the professionals use that pick and fix this up automatically. They have to do it manually also - even for BD3D subs. The only difference there is that the sub keeps just the one 2D copy of the text in the file, and then also keeps the "Disparity" info as a Postive, Negative, or Zero number, so that the BD player AUTOMATICALLY generates internally the 2 subs images at the right disparity level. Kind of like how MP3Gain can keep track of the gain (and can be adjusted separately without modifying the original essence data).

BTW, your upload link seems to not be working. Just shows a BLANK page.

Don't get what you mean by that last item - was that referring to what was uploaded?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    02. Yes here http://www.samsung.com/gr/support/model/UE40D6000TWXXH-downloads?downloadName=FM#

I try the guide here "http://www.3dsbs.com/3d-subtitles/57-how-you-can-make-3d-subtitle.html" i make that kind of subtitles with idx and sub or with sup internal or external to every 3d sbs mkv file with no results at all so...

The only thing i want is to can see 3D SUBTITLES into 3d sbs mkv files and NOT 2D subtitles at 3d movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The guide you mentioned is meant for making IDX/SUB GRAPHIC-type subs, specifically for use by the VLC player, such that when you play a SbS video (which is fundamentally a 2D video, only being 3D when manually adjusted at the TV), it (the VLC player) OVERLAYS in the player onto the video. This makes the video being sent (over HDMI, DVI, VGA etc) include the "hard-coded" or "burned-in" sub.

This is NOT like what you are trying to do, since your "player" in question is your TV itself. Thus, you cannot use this guide. It has already been made clear that you cannot use IDX/SUB types of subs. And it would not be smart to try to do an OCR of those if you ALREADY have a 2D srt source (much more time involved, errors introduced, etc).

I keep saying: you WANT to use the 2D srt subs - NOT the original 2D srt subs you started with, but the "modified" 2D srt subs that I walked you through. Since you already know that your player supports "2D" mkvs and "2D" srt subs, you should be showing SbS MKVs (which are again, FUNDAMENTALLY a 2D signal) and SbS SRTs (which are again, FUNDAMENTALLY a 2D signal). When shown in "3D - SbS" mode, they should BOTH be shown in 3D. If only the video (MKV) is shown in 3D, and the sub continues to show just a SbS duplication of data, it is the fault of your TV's hardware/firmware and nothing can be done about it until the manufacturer decides to change it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    So what can i do to make a classic 2d srt subtitles into 3d subtitles that it is compatible with this tv.

I want a simple program like 3d subtitler to convert 2d srt into 3d subtitles.

A lot of thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What can you do? You've already asked and I've already answered.

1. Open the SRT in a text or subs editor of your choice.
    2. Duplicate the line. IOW, "Sample Text Here" becomes "Sample Text HereSample Text Here".
    3. Start Adding spaces until each segment (the Left side, and the Right) are Centered in their respective half-frames.
    4. Choose to either add or subtract more spaces until it is visually appropriate for the underlying video.
    5. Save as a new SRT (a "3D" srt, if you will).
    6. Use the new, "3D" srt along with the SbS Mkv, and switch your TV into SbS 3D mode.

That's ALL you can do, sounds simple but it isn't. It's a LOT of trial-and-error until it looks right TO YOU.

Thus, there is NO SUCH THING as a simple program to do this. There is NO easy way to do this. And it may not get much easier in the future, either. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

That's pretty much all I can help you with this problem. If you keep repeating the same questions, though, I'll probably stop answering...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    If it need to edit the srt file and add spaces to every line then this is TOO much hard to do it manually without any program....

Isn't there any program to do that automatically?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No.

Though you might be able to create a batch script to get you started (if you know how to write batch scripts)...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The use of the /n switch will be problematic where long subtitle strings will need to be split.

Example:

His interest was in the balance and harmony of nature.

What it will need to become for sbs, <> indicates space adjustment
    :

His interest was in the balance<>His interest was in the balance\N<>and harmony of nature.<>and harmony of nature.

Result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sbs subtitle example.jpg
Views:	9802
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	12152

It will be a matter of getting the spacing correct, thou this will still not be 3D because there is no Zdepth unless the tv supports some form of function when set in 3D mode when given 2D source.

Cornucopia has covered the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Guys i am not so advanced user for that matters so if there is any program like 3d subtitler that do the work more automatically please tell me which is that program.

THANKS.
    Last edited by fits79; 9th Jun 2012 at 20:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    The use of the /n switch will be problematic where long subtitle strings will need to be split.

Example:

:

His interest was in the balance<>His interest was in the balance\N<>and harmony of nature.<>and harmony of nature.

Result:

[Attachment 12152 - Click to enlarge]

It will be a matter of getting the spacing correct, thou this will still not be 3D because there is no Zdepth unless the tv supports some form of function when set in 3D mode when given 2D source.

doesn't work that way at all with my lg 3d bluray player and samsung 3d tv. that method would only work if you then burned the subs into the video. to fix srt subs for 3d i add 40 spaces before each text line in the srt file using notepad so the subs only display on the right, as the proportional spacing of the text is impossible to line up using both left and right. other subtitle formats don't play at all, like sup or sub.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 21st Feb 2013 at 21:41.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    What exactly did you tell me now????

Many guides on the internet tell that with the program 3dsubtitler 2.7.1.0 you can create 3d subtitles from any srt file.

With that program i make the videos i have in the rar file i tell the link to my previews post.

Can anyone try these videos to any samsung 3d tv to tell me if it works as 3d subtitles or not?

One person it tell me that the only thing it do is to run the 3dsubtitler to fix idx/sub and copy these two files with the mkv ALL WITH THE EXACT SAME FILENAME and the samsung 3d tv toy it regonise the these 3d subtitles like a charm but to mine samsung 3d tv i don't see that so what i can do????

aedipuss the method you tell is sure that it isn't correct for 3d tv's
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    What exactly did you tell me now????

Many guides on the internet tell that with the program 3dsubtitler 2.7.1.0 you can create 3d subtitles from any srt file.

With that program i make the videos i have in the rar file i tell the link to my previews post.

Can anyone try these videos to any samsung 3d tv to tell me if it works as 3d subtitles or not?

One person it tell me that the only thing it do is to run the 3dsubtitler to fix idx/sub and copy these two files with the mkv ALL WITH THE EXACT SAME FILENAME and the samsung 3d tv toy it regonise the these 3d subtitles like a charm but to mine samsung 3d tv i don't see that so what i can do????

aedipuss the method you tell is sure that it isn't correct for 3d tv's
    One more time: "3dsubtitler" takes srt 2d subs, etc and creates 3d idx/sub subs FOR USE ONLY WITH A PC PLAYER APP LIKE VLC.

You are NOT using a pc to play your files, so this app is of NO USE to you.

I have already given you the only steps that will work to give you what you need, but you don't seem to want to go to the effort to follow those steps. I'm done!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Adding spaces into the srt file THIS IS NOT MAKE THE SRT FILE INTO 3D SUBTITLE this is absolute sure that is NOT HAPPENING.

And there is A LOT OF PERSONS that tells with 3dsubtitler results(idx/sub) can see 3d subtitles to some 3d tv's so.....
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    I buy the samsung ue40es6100 and i try to

01. Convert with 3dsubtitler 2.7.1.0 the srt into idx/sub
    02. Insert that idx/sub files into the mkv file
    03. My led 3d tv it shows the subtitles but even when i combine the two halfs into one it shows the subtitles at left and at right like it did BEFORE i combine these two halfs into one 3d movie.

I try the SAME file with the wd tv live and it plays it normal and 3d subtitle when i combine these two halfs of the movie.

So what you suggest me to do?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post

Example:

:

Result:

[Attachment 12152 - Click to enlarge]

Sorry for being completely out of topic but, from which movie is this screenshot?
    On topic: I have an LG 3D TV and subtitles produced by 3D Subtitler (with side-by-side movies) work like charm.

(edit) It would be virtually impossible to make it through spacing because
    1) Even if you do manage to match pixel-to-pixel the correct positions for (say) the first subtitle
    this won't be true for the second!
    2) Using fonts you don't have that much control (that is required) over the exact pixel that you must position your subtitle
    Btw, Z-depth isn't much of a trouble. Provided that you have the correct placement for right and left subtitles you just add between them some space (meaning expand equally to the left and to the right for example 10 pixels) and there you go. You have negative (towards inside screen) zdepth !

(edit 2)
    If it could be done with a lot of pain (which i seriously doubt), your only shot would be by using monospace font.
    Again, I seriously doubt it.
    Last edited by comments; 4th Jan 2013 at 04:43.
    Quote Quote