VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, newbie here. I hate to make my first post a plea for help but................

I just received a new JVC GY-HM150U video camera today. I charged the battery, made a short video on a 32gb Kingston SD card. I can hook the camera up to a T.V. monitor and play the video directly to the T.V. If I plug the SD card into the iMac card slot and dump the MP4 file on the H.D. and try to play it with QuickTime Player Version 10.0 I get this error message.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -12909.)

My son ran a software update scan & we seem to have the latest version of QuickTime.

When I try to import the MP4 file into iMovie 11 v.9.0.4 the file is there but not highlighted (can't click on it & open it).

I installed the JVC ProHD Clip Manager Version 1.03 that came with the camera and I get the same.... File is there but not highlighted (can't click on it & open it).

Any ideas what could be the problem?
    Just wondering if I am doing something wrong or if I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think it's XDCAM MP4 (i.e MPEG2 compression), and on a Mac you probably need to re-wrap it to MOV .

First, check playing it with MPlayer OSX Extended or VLC to verify clip isn't damaged, also play in camera to make sure clip is intact

I think there should be a recording option to record to MOV wrapper directly in the camera (instead of MP4)

If not , there should be utilites from Sony that do this (JVC licensed the recording module from Sony), have a quick look on their website search for XDCAM and FCP workflows. You could also do it with ffmpeg

I havent' watched this, but it may help as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6veANAyvcY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think there should be a recording option to record to MOV wrapper directly in the camera (instead of MP4)
    yes it's in the manual, switch from mp4 to mov - same quality, different wrapper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-11_234656.png
Views:	2006
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	11909
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you poisondeathray & aedipuss for the quick responses. I'll give that a try & see how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I set the menu to QuickTime (MOV) file name shows up on the SD card as a .MOV file.

If I try to open it in QT player I get

The document “377G0023_01.MOV” could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands.

I tried reformatting the SD card again after switching to QT, but still nothing.

I have to take off for work but I'll check in later.
    Thanks again for your responses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bizarre. that format is specifically designed for fcp mac compatibility. is there a pro version of qt for macs? or maybe it's too advanced for qt and you have to use fcp to open it on a mac.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. You need a XDCAM quicktime component - I think it comes with FCP

Or use 3rd party , like Calibrated Q
    http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

Or ditch the garbage Quicktime Player (it's garbage on PC's as well as Macs) and use the other players listed above which are free for playback

I don't know if you'll be able to use imovie for editing, It will probably convert everything to AIC
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1882215?start=0&tstart=0
    Quote Quote  
  8. Looks like I may have to upgrade my Movie editor to FCP

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There is a free way to convert to ProRes with ffmpeg, but it requires commandline usage (opening a terminal in mac). Imovie will edit ProRes ok, and it's a high quality intermediate format. I don't think ffmpegx (a GUI for ffmpeg on a Mac) has been updated to encode ProRes, but you might be able use another format like MJPEG in MOV
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you don't know how to use commandline, "smok3" made some "droplets"utilities for OSX Lion, that simplfies this process. So you might convert them to ProRes for example. There is a video tutorial available as well in link.

ffdrop
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162621
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks again for your responses.
    I've decided to buy a good editing program. I downloaded the trial version of FCP 10.0.4 and it looks good. My clip loaded with no issues. Before I spend that kind of money though I thought I'd see what else is out there.
    Anybody have any information on Adobe Premier? I have Adobe Photoshop CS4. Would PS & Premier plug in to give me more tools?
    I've heard complaints about FCP, but I'm wondering if that is more an issue with workflow changes or actual glitches?
    There's AVID but that seems to be a little more than I'd like to spend on a hobby.
    Looks like I have some research ahead of me.
    Thanks for any light you can shed on this, or any other options out there. I'm not looking for cheap. I'd like to end up with a good box of tools for movie editing. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. FCP X complaints are more about workflow changes and removal of functions that pro editors were used to in FCP 7

To be fair, the added back some features and improved FCP X recently (perhaps it could be said they released FCP X prematurely). FCPX should more than enough for the majority people. Perhaps if you are doing this seriously , or as a job, you might consider something else

Premiere CS5 is fantastic for integrated workflows if you use other Adobe applications, but it's not as good on a Mac because of GPU issues (Mercury Playback engine relies on CUDA from Nvidia GPU's and you have limited options on a Mac). CS6 is supposed to add support for ATI Cards. When you buy Premiere, it works better (and cheaper overall) when you buy the products as a suite - because you have dynamic link functions that integrate the programs (Along with Encore, After Effects etc...)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks poisondeathray. I have one last odd question.

Where do I find the full FCP program? Every place I have found only offers the update for $299.00. iTunes only shows the upgrade, at least on the pages I thumbed through. Amazon only offers the old version. Even the site I downloaded the trial version from, when I click on buy, I only see the $299.00 upgrade. I must not be clicking on the right tabs I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  14. They cut out the middle man and 3rd party distributors. You have to get it at the Mac App Store. It's much less expensive than previous versions which were ~$700 . This one is ~$300

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/
    Quote Quote  
  15. I purchased FCPX. I haven't done much more than just load a short clip to make sure it was all compatible. Looks like it should work great. Now I just need to find some free edit time. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry I just saw this thread. I was going to suggest you 1st try the QT MPEG2 Playback component/plugin. It's a separate purchase from QT Pro, etc. Around $20-25 USD. Don't know for sure whether it supports HD or not (could be just SD). Allows PLAYBACK (not encoding) of MPEG2 (doesn't include MPEG1 or MPEG4, as that is unnecessary as they are both included with QT Pro).

Might be good to have anyway if you want to be playing your sources in QT Player...

Scott
    Quote Quote