VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Show me yours? I used MP4Box to add a selectable softsub track to a .mp4 file. That went fine. I don't wish to stop there, though.

• I'd like to rename the track instead of it being called Track 1 - [Eng] like it is at the moment.
    • I would like to make the track On by default. (When you play the video, it's used by default)
    I know this can be done. I'm just stumped as to how.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wow - didn't expect much, but nothing?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KraG View Post
    Wow - didn't expect much, but nothing?
    Perhaps a more descriptive title like "Need subtitle help with MP4" would have resulted in more responses. Don't be so cute next time.

Sometimes worthy posts just don't get answers. I don't know why but it happens. It happens less here than in other forums but sometimes it happens. I'm no MP4 expert so I can't help you, but maybe someone else can. Your question about making the subtitles on by default is a good one, but the one where you want to rename the subtitle track is kind of pointless in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Don't be so cute next time.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Sometimes worthy posts just don't get answers. I don't know why but it happens. It happens less here than in other forums but sometimes it happens. I'm no MP4 expert so I can't help you, but maybe someone else can. Your question about making the subtitles on by default is a good one, but the one where you want to rename the subtitle track is kind of pointless in my opinion.
    In my specific circumstance, renaming the sub track is a good idea. But anyway, I already know what I want to do, just asking how.

I've got some idea it could be done to the actual video file with a hex editor, or perhaps there's a CLI app that supports both features natively...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From HandBrake's Wiki Pages:

Setting a Default Subtitle track
    If you wish to have your player automatically select a subtitle track during playback, then you can select the “default” checkbox for the subtitle track you wish to enable. You should note that this does not currently work with Apple software or playback devices.
    While this option is available for mp4 files, it does not currently serve any purpose. Default subtitle tracks will only be enabled on playback when using mkv files.

So I guess it can be done, but there's nothing out there that's going to read the flag to actually do it (that is, display the subtitles by default). I'm pretty sure you can set this as a function of the player (well, software players, at least), but then, of course, it will display subtitles by default for EVERY movie you play (as long as subtitles are present).

As far as renaming the sub track, the mp4 muxer inside megui will do this for you. I use megui for most of my muxing needs as the interface is simple, the dependent programs are always updated (development server), and it works.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It did, thank you.
    Quote Quote