VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone please help me on how to PLAY MIDI FILES into DVD PLAYER? I downloaded MIDI songs and when I tried to play it on a dvd player, it won't play. I was wondering how to. Does it need to be converted? I tried to open videoke dvd's on my computer to found out what it's format so that at least I could copy it and do it on the MIDI files I downloaded, but it's no use. Please????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    some dvd standalones can play mp3 on cd. try converting to that.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Midi files don't contain any sound -- they're like a player piano roll. They just contain note information, velocity, pitch bend, etc., to instruct instruments to play the particular notes in a particular way. It'd be like trying to play sheet music and expecting to hear something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigass View Post
    Midi files don't contain any sound -- they're like a player piano roll. They just contain note information, velocity, pitch bend, etc., to instruct instruments to play the particular notes in a particular way. It'd be like trying to play sheet music and expecting to hear something.
    Shouldn't you be able to play the midi in a midi player and record it with some software that can record "what u hear"? I guess it won't do you any good to do the "wav out" mix since its not wav audio but you should still be able to do it.

However this would be a realtime application. Press record in the software then play in the midi player.

there might be some midi to mp3 software selections out there. Give it a try.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    However this would be a realtime application. Press record in the software then play in the midi player.

there might be some midi to mp3 software selections out there. Give it a try.
    Sure, probably. Ultimately, you have to have something -- be it a player, digital audio workstation, converter, whatever -- take the MIDI data and feed it to instruments, which turns it into sound. Do you want to use the default Windows General Midi instrument set, or do you want it to sound hyper-realistic? Or even less than realistic? That's the great thing about MIDI files.

Me, I like to take a MIDI file, import it into a DAW like Reaper, and split out the tracks. For drums, I can load a decent drum kit. I can choose whatever synth patch I want for the synth section. I can pick a great bass instrument, and so on. Or, I can just double-click on it in Explorer and have it play through the Windows GM engine.

But unlike most audio-video work, what goes in and what comes out are completely dependent on what's in the middle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigass View Post
    But unlike most audio-video work, what goes in and what comes out are completely dependent on what's in the middle.
    Hi
    Yes, I agree.

But for a 'cheap and cheerful' midi player and converter VLC is OK... when it's been set up properly.
    Instructions are here ---> http://www.remlab.net/op/vlc-midi.shtml

I've been using soundfont 'PersonalCopy 5.1f' from here ---> http://www.personalcopy.com/linuxfiles.htm
    Works OK with Linux and Windows.
    But I'm interested to know if there are any better free GM soundfonts available for Linux and Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    bat, you're right on with the soundfonts. That's the best middle ground for getting a better sound out of a MIDI file. Find something that uses soundfonts, grab a few soundfont banks, and season to taste. Good call.
    Quote Quote