VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an mp4 video file that plays just fine, using Media Player Classic Home Cinema. The subtitles appear to be in regular Arial font, 18 pt, white text with black outline, just as I want them.

In ConvertX, the default settings are identical (ANSI_CHARSET). But when I convert the file to burn on DVD, the subtitles appear solid greenl and in a font similar to bold Impact, barely readable. I've never experienced anything like this before. Any idea what might be going on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convertx screwed up the srt to graphic conversion on the subs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your subtitles are probably SRT, plain text with no font information. It's the subtitle renderer that decides what font (color, outline, and drop shadow) to use.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If I understand you correctly, the subtitle app that was used to create subtitles in the mp4 file is responsible for how the subs appear after I convert the file to DVD format (IFO, BUP, VOB).

Evidently what I'm told here is correct. But I'm wondering why the subs appear fine when I play the mp4 file with MPC, and why ConvertXtoDVD has settings for subtitle rendering if they have no influence on the conversion process. I just wish to lean more about video management.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the subs were srt to begin with then its the convertx subtitle renderer that changed the appearance.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. MPC uses one subtitle renderer, ConvertXtoDVD uses another. Each renderer decided for itself what font to use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks to all for lending a hand. Just when I think I know a thing or two about encoding, I am humbled. I solved the problem after learning that the subtitle settings in ConvertX apply only to .SRT. From now on I'll use my favorite subtitle editor, Aegisub, to convert an SRT to ASS.
    Quote Quote