VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a movie in .mkv format that has .srt subtitles included in the container.

I'm going to be playing it on the PS3 from an external drive, so here's what I'm hoping to accomplish:

I want to burn in the subtitles and also convert the file to .mp4 format so it will play on the PS3 without having to access other subtitle files.

I think I can accomplish this doing the following:

1. Demuxing the file into the components, h264 video, ac3 audio, srt subtitle, and xml chapters (completed)
    2. Converting srt subtitle into ssa so that Handbrake can burn the subtitle in (completed)
    3. Remux the whole thing back into an mkv video file
    4. Transcoding the mkv into an mp4 and burning the subs into the video file in the process

If someone could help me remux an h264 video, an ac3 audio, an ssa subtitle file, and an xml chapter file into an mkv I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why remux? Open the original mkv in hanbrake, add subs, convert. Done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Because Handbrake won't burn in .srt subs. I had to convert .srt to .ssa, which Handbrake can burn in, but now I can't remux them back together. If there's a way to take the .h264, the .ac3, and the .ssa files and have Handbrake create an .mp4 from the component files, please tell me. I wasn't aware Handbrake could do that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do what Baldrick said,add the mkv to handbrake and add the .ssa file in the subtitle tab and convert.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can't do that because the .ssa file isn't in the original .mkv file. I had to convert the .srt file into an .ssa file. Handbrake won't allow you to import .ssa files the way you can with .srt files, and only .ssa files can be burned in.

So if I could get the .ssa file into the .mkv file, then I could transcode like I want. I just can't get Handbrake to access the .ssa file cause it's a separate file right now, rather than an embedded part of the .mkv
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mux the .ssa with mkvmerge.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It won't allow me to add the file. Gives me an error message. When I try to "attach" the file, it muxes fine, but I can't find the .ssa as an option when I go to play the file or use Handbrake later.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just added a ssa file to a mkv and loaded it in handbrake and it lets me select the ssa as a burned in subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Can you explain how you added the .ssa to the .mkv? I'm trying to use mkvmerge, but it's not working.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This is the error that I get btw:

Command line used:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" --output-charset UTF-8 --identify-for-mmg "C:\Users\GRANT-LAPTOP\Desktop\migp\migp_track5_eng.ssa"

Output:

Error: File C:\Users\GRANT-LAPTOP\Desktop\migp\migp_track5_eng.ssa has unknown type. Please have a look at the supported file types ('mkvmerge --list-types') and contact the author Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org> if your file type is supported but not recognized properly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you adding the mkv with the ssa file?Might be something wrong with the ssa file then,what program are you using to convert the srt to ssa?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The whole point is that I don't have an .mkv file with .ssa on it.

I started with an .mkv with .srt on it.

I demuxed to the components, took the .srt and converted it to .ssa with conversor.exe and now I have an .h264, an .ac3, and an .ssa file that I want to remux back into an .mkv so that I can load it into Handbrake and do what you guys are telling me to do. I know how to do the last part, it's getting step 3 above that I need help with.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you are understanding what I'm trying to say,take the original mkv and load it into mkvmerge and add the ssa with it,then save as a new mkv,then add the new mkv to handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It won't let me add the new .ssa file to the .mkv. What program should I be using to convert .srt to .ssa?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use subtitle edit,that worked for me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I used a crappy converter apparently. Thanks so much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to help.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No problems. .
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi all,

I am attempting to do the same thing (i.e. I have an mp4 and an ssa file, and I want to create an mp4 or equivalent with burned in subtitles that can run on a PS3), but am encountering problems.

I have muxed the mp4 with the ssa file into an mkv file using mkvmerge (v6.1.0). I then open Handbrake, use the mkv file as the source and, under subtitles, set the SSA track to Burned In and start the process.

The output file stubbornly refuses to have any subtitles, burned in or no. What am I doing wrong?

I should add that my muxing only took 8 seconds and that Handbrake is defaulting the file conversion to m4v; not sure if this normal for either process.

All help is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote