VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a hauppauge HD PVR which i use to capture HD shows, this device produces .ts or .m2ts files at profile level 4.0. from what i understand the PS3 is only capable of playing back level 4.1 or higher in AVC format, is that correct ? is it the same for Blu-ray format aswell or can i use level 4.0 ?

If i want to go down the AVCHD route then will it involve having to re-encode the shows to 4.1 ?

Is there any software that would allow me to record my shows to level 4.1 using the PVR ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm pretty sure you have it backward: the PS3 is limited to level 4.1 or LOWER. Go to this site, download a few sample clips, and see if they play:

http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-model-1212.html

You may have to rename or remux the samples to .M2TS. Software updates added .M2TS output after he made those samples.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Apr 2012 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ps3 can EASILY play the files the hdpvr creates. Thats the point of the whole unit.

The only possible issue you might run into is if you use an external usb drive and your individual file is over 4gb - it won't work with a fat32 drive that is the only external usb drive a stock ps3 will recognize.

But you can easily play the m2ts and mp4 files it makes. I'm nearly certain the ps3 will recognize the ts files since they are h264 but I've almost never recorded in ts so I can't confrim a 100% with it.

If you run into size issues if you use a fat32 you can do one of two or three things

- recapture at a lower bitrate to make a smaller file size
    - author to an avchd on dual layer for the longer recordings or higher bitrate captures
    - author to dvd on dual layer (but you will lose hd resolution this way of course)
    edit - you could of course split the file and have less than 4gb files on fat 32 drive

There are a few ways to avoid a fat32 limitation

- if you have a xbox 360 get macdrive to format your external drive to hfs+ which is the mac equivalent of ntfs. than you can load larger than 4gb files and the 360 will recognize it. THough apparently it is limited which files it will recognize over 4gb. I haven't fully tested but it should at least recognize 4gb+ wmv files. I have to imagine it will support the h264 mp4 files the hdpvr makes - it certainly does for the smaller capture files I've made.

- get a bluray player that will support ntfs drives and mp4 or m2ts file playback (of the h264 variety)

- get a media player like a wdtv or popcorn hour that can read a wide array of file types off of a usb ntfs harrddrive

- setup a htpc system with your tv and then you can play any file you have.

Hope this helps.

Edit - another option I thought of is if you have a bluray burner you could either burn the file as a data file and the PS3 SHOULD play it off the disc - or - author the file as a genuine bluray and then burn it.

I don't have a bluray burner so I can't confirm if the ps3 can recognize a file as data on a bluray disc. In theory it should have no problem as its similar in nature to reading files off a dvdr which the ps3 certainly can do.

As for authoring a bluray that should work just fine. Again however I don't have a bluray burner so I can't confirm that with my personal experience only supposition.
    Last edited by yoda313; 9th Apr 2012 at 08:35.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Or use
    PS3 Media Server

it's free. Play on your computer, see it on your PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys.. you've been very helpful

- author to an avchd on dual layer for the longer recordings or higher bitrate captures
    This is what i wanted to know

I did try searching if the PS3 could playback AVCHD profile 4.0 using goolge and other sites but wasnt much out there.. what information i did find kept talking about using 4.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by messi magician
    This is what i wanted to know
    I don't know about the different profile levels. When I make avchd 9 out of 10 times its with the hdpvr. I usually just plug them into the supplied arcsoft software and make a basic avchd and burn to dvdr. Its worked every time.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote