VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. DVD disk freezes during playback after being finalized

Hello. I have HDD DVD recorder Philips DVDR 3455 and recently is creating me big troubles with the disks created. from this reorder. DVD disk freezes duringplayback after being finalized. I tried all possible DVD disk brands like Sony,Maxell, Memorex, Fuji etc, but the same trouble. After finalizing the disk, Iam trying to play them back in different DVD players or PC, but the video freezes just in first 2-3 seconds. Any solution? Thanks
    Last edited by 1234567; 8th Apr 2012 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The technical support of Philips told me to update the machine driver from website. I did it, but no solution yet...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it were me I'd rip the DVD to my computer and re-author a new one WITHOUT the Philips menu....or with no menu....see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If it were me I'd rip the DVD to my computer and re-author a new one WITHOUT the Philips menu....or with no menu....see if that helps.
    This is a solution maybe but you will spend 2 times more DVDs. Seems a strange problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 1234567 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

This is a solution maybe but you will spend 2 times more DVDs. Seems a strange problem

Having grown up in the now almost deceased "DVD Recorder" world with a $600 Philips DVDR-985 DVD recorder bought way back in the day....even then there was software to fix problem-discs created by DVD recorders.

FixVTS was originally written with such discs in mind...and that was back when discs were....what...10x the price as they are today?
    And
    Sony,Maxell, Memorex, Fuji etc etc discs are not good discs. The only discs worth buying these days are (most)Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden....though I doubt that will solve your problem.
    Also make sure you turn OFF auto-chaptering on the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. [QUOTE=hech54;2154136][QUOTE=1234567;2154130]
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

FixVTS was originally written with such discs in mind...and that was back when discs were....what...10x the price as they are today?
    And Sony,Maxell, Memorex, Fuji etc etc discs are not good discs. The only discs worth buying these days are (most)Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden....though I doubt that will solve your problem.
    Also make sure you turn OFF auto-chaptering on the recorder.
    Nothing is wrong with Sony,Maxell, Memorex, Fuji etc etc discs. Last months I made 50-60 DVDs without problems.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your DVD recorder is a model released in 2006. After a few years of moderate to heavy use, the DVD burners in DVD recorders generally start to fail and no longer burn reliably. That is what is probably happening. The solution is to have the DVD recorder repaired, or get a new DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing is wrong with Sony,Maxell, Memorex, Fuji etc etc discs. Last months I made 50-60 DVDs without problems.
    Yet oddly we have plenty of posts to the contrary about that. The good Verbatim and all TY discs work reliably for everybody. If you want to save money and roll the dice on other brands, that's your business. But you may be doing things like burning at low speeds that increase your chance of success and other users won't do that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Yet oddly we have plenty of posts to the contrary about that. The good Verbatim and all TY discs work reliably for everybody. If you want to save money and roll the dice on other brands, that's your business. But you may be doing things like burning at low speeds that increase your chance of success and other users won't do that.
    We are taking about HDD DVD recorder, that will burn disks at one default speed. Is not a PC DVD writter man...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Your DVD recorder is a model released in 2006. After a few years of moderate to heavy use, the DVD burners in DVD recorders generally start to fail and no longer burn reliably. That is what is probably happening. The solution is to have the DVD recorder repaired, or get a new DVD recorder.
    Is not heavy used at all. I just used for a bit in total 50-60 DVD doing back up camcorder tapes from the past. The recorder is still doing a good burning job I guess. The problem is on playning the same DVD in other DVD players.
    Last edited by 1234567; 12th Apr 2012 at 20:37.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Is not heavy used at all. I just used for a bit in total 50-60 DVD doing back up camcorder tapes from the past. The recorder is still doing a good burning job I guess. The problem is on playning the same DVD in other DVD players.
    Think about it. Unless the DVD drives on all the other equipment you tried have simultaneously begun to fail, or all the DVDs you have burned recently have a similar manufacturing defect, something has to be wrong with the DVD recorder's burner. The burner appears to be the only constant in your tests.

Every component in a machine has a "mean time between failure", but it is only an average. Sometimes parts will fail long before they should and sometimes parts will work much longer than expected.
    Quote Quote