VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Ive a 3 hour video where the camera has been handhelt the first 10 min, after that is stationere... Now im thinking about running a deShaker in virtualdub in the first 10 min, but how do you do that bedst? And should i cut out the 10 min deshake them and then join the files again after?

Its lagarith avi, that its been capped in
    Quote Quote  
  2. The basic process for Deshaker:

1) Open Video File
    2) Add Deshaker plugin
    3) In the deshaker dialog select Pass 1, change settings in the Pass 1 Parameters area
    4) File -> Run Video Analysis Pass
    5) Go back to the deshaker dialog and select Pass 2, change settings in the Pass 2 Parameters area
    6) Scrub through video to see the results, go back to step 3 or 5 if necessary
    7) File -> Save as AVI
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo and others have contributed a few more tips and ideas in an earlier thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/344988-How-to-remove-shaking-camera-effect

I'd prefer up jagabo's recommendation for DeShaker over other methods.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I know how to use it mates... Its more specifik to my video file
    It only has shakes in first 10 12 min of movie
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can trim the first 10 minutes out to a separate file. Or you can use the Mark-in and Mark-out tools to filter one section then the next, and join the two files later. Or you can use VirtualDub's curve editor to apply the filter to only a range of frames.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Apr 2012 at 10:19.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't believe the "deshaker" filters including the deshaker, there is always compromise with them and they can be confused very often and leave some nasty at least from my experience i rather leave the video as it is ( that way if it is you on the picture you can curse the recorder any time you together watch the video it is fun by the way you stu..id m...n how did you happen to shake that much stop drinking or I will never let you film me
    Quote Quote  
  7. Deshaking works well on some videos, not so well on others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another topic or another 3 hour video ?

A couple of points.

1. Deshaker only works properly with progressive video. Your capture is interlaced.
    2. Deshaker will corrupt part of your picture - leave borders or blur the edges. That may not be desirable.

Out of politeness - for all the assistance already offered - you may also wish to reply to the other topic as to what hardware/software you are now using for the capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Another topic or another 3 hour video ?

Deshaker only works properly with progressive video.
    Even with the interlaced box checked?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or was that a surf-by post?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    or was that a surf-by post?
    Well since you are determined to 'troll' a response from me, the important word here is 'properly'.

I diod not say it did not work, although my own experiences of using such filters (with Vegas) have been inconclusive, but the documentation clearly states that the video will look softer with an interlaced source than a progressive one.

That is my take on 'properly'
    Quote Quote  
  12. deshaker ( even avisynth deshake filters that why fredie says in his script for 8mm to use progressive material ) doesn't work properly on interlaced material even if you put interlaced in it i tried it many times and i can conclude that even tough it stops shake it introduces very weird artifacts when doing so i cant explain by words but by my eyes the picture looks worse an completely unnatural the flow of the picture is jerky. With progressive material can give very impressive results but that way you lose quality by deinterlacing. I am not expert on mater maybe jagabo can give you some explanation why but it probably has to do with 2 fields changing thing
    Quote Quote  
  13. I would use a good bob deinterlacer before deshaking interlaced material -- like QTGMC. Then re-interlace if you need an interlaced result.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I would use a good bob deinterlacer before deshaking interlaced material -- like QTGMC. Then re-interlace if you need an interlaced result.
    Can I use yuv2 ( without going to yv12 ) it ask me to use planar colospace conv ( Im talking about QTGMC i used the mt version and 2.6 ver avisynth i saw that new version can support yv16 and yv24?) what is that?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'd like to test DeShaker on this video.

Using default parameters I got this.

Do you guys recommends other settings for better results?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. That video is full of motion blur and rolling shutter problems. It will look terrible after deshaking.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That video is full of motion blur and rolling shutter problems. It will look terrible after deshaking.
    I agree. It looks terrible before and after DeShaker. But the question is about the parameters. Which ones are important to keep and to change for this video?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DeShaker, even if it worked well, is going to cost a lot of screen real estate with that kind of motion. Some of the quality issues might be due to UTube's format. But for this kind of shaky stuff, many would leave things as-is. But you can always try. I've never use DeShaker, but someone might help narrow the range of correction (??). Still, you'll have some borders to contend with. Depends on how much of the original image you're willing to lose. Objects that completely disappear from the frame will be a hassle.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thx, sanlyn. The goal here is just to learn to handle those DeShaker settings. Trying other configs.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Some settings you may want to adjust from their defaults:

Enable "Camcorder has a rolling shutter" and adjust the amount.

Sometimes you want to disable "Detect rotation" and "Detect zoom". Use the "Ignore pixels" "outside" settings if there is something near the edges of the picture you don't want to be considered in the deshaking. Or "Ignore pixels" "inside" if there's some in the middle of the picture you don't want considered.

I usually set "Edge Compensation" to "Adaptive zoom, some borders" and enable "Use previous and future frames to fill in borders". For smoother motion the "Motion Smoothness" settings need be cranked up. If you want to try to get rid of very large jerks you need to increase the "Max. correction limits...".
    Quote Quote  
  21. Very useful your tips, jagabo. "Use previous and future frames to fill in borders" was the best one!

But I couldn't notice any good increasing some settings with numbers, like "Motion Smoothness" or "Max. corrections limits..."

Thx.
    Quote Quote