VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What do people do with mpeg-1/2 video mpgv at 59.94 frames per second?

I have had some issues with both playing this type of video and editing or converting this video. When I edit or convert this video format the sound comes out completely unsynchronized. What do you people usually do with this type of video format?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently discovered myself the mpeg-1/2 mpgv@59.94 is commonly known to me as HDV. Sony and Apple worked together to make their systems perform flawlessly. I'm sure other companies were involved, but I've been committed to Sony and Apple for some time, so I just went with it. Anyway, miniDV was the first format, in SD, to really utilize FireWire (IMHO). There are as many protocols as there are codecs, but the point here is to highlight the HD format: HDV. HDV uses FireWire and, like miniDV/DV Cam, it uses about 5 minutes/1G, or about 12G/hour. Additionally, HDV encompasses other HD formats, like 720P and even European formats.

Anyone with an Apple FinalCutPro system capable of working with HD files (V5 and up, that I know of) should be able to work with that file with ease.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To work with that file on your system will require HDV codec and QuickTime. Not sure about the windows side of things, but QT Pro for Windows should include the HDV codec so you can use it. It may not play in real-time in your editing software, so you may need to convert it to a format that is natie to your system.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VideoReDo was able to edit similar TV captures (720p in ATSC land uses that frame rate) and I was able to re-encode them down to lower bit rates with AviSynth + HCenc. Your post is certainly vague as to what you are using and what you are trying to accomplish so expect vague responses.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnharlin View Post
    What do people do with mpeg-1/2 video mpgv at 59.94 frames per second?

I have had some issues with both playing this type of video and editing or converting this video. When I edit or convert this video format the sound comes out completely unsynchronized. What do you people usually do with this type of video format?
    Your computer details say you use a PC, but the mpgv description is most often used by Apple-oriented software. VLC is the only software I can recall using on my PC that describes my interlaced MPEG-2 video in an .mpg file as mpgv at 59.94 frames per second. Everything else I use that provides video information says the same video is MPEG-2 at 29.970 frames per second. (59.94 fps usually means interlaced video at 59.94 fields per second rather than 59.94 frames per second. It is the same as interlaced video at 29.97 frames per second. 720p video in NTSC countries is the only common format that uses 59.94 frames per second)

TV captures in .ts files will often loose synchronization after editing or converting. As jman98 said VideoReDo is the best program I have tried for editing captured TV shows in MPEG-2 .ts files.

If it isn't a .ts file, try opening the video using MediaInfo and post the report from its text option. Also, what file extension does it use and what software have you tried to edit or convert it? The source of this video (camera file, etc.) could be useful too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    59.94i = 29.97fps interlaced

Often shorthanded to 60i.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you. It's been awhile since I tried to work with that movie. I was trying to edit out the first 7 minutes and the results were desynchronized sound. I'll try it again sometime soon and see what happens. And yes, I'm using a PC.
    Quote Quote