VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It never gets past its little splash screen. The windows error report says:

AppName: virtualvcr.exe AppVer: 2.6.9.6252 ModName: virtualvcr.exe
    ModVer: 2.6.9.6252 Offset: 00006b8d

I tried reinstalling it and same problem. Running XP, two disk drives, 4GB ram, AMD Athlon core-duo.

Thanks,

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Has it EVER worked correctly for you on this computer?
    2) What's your video capture card or device? Be warned that Hauppauge, for example, makes some great products but 3rd party applications like this rarely if ever work with their stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No it has never worked. The capture is a Pinnacle MovieBox 710=USB.

The splash screen gets as far as saying "Setting Cross Bar", and then I get the Windows crash message and it asks to send info or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cgarai View Post
    No it has never worked.
    Then stop using it and stop trying to use it. It's 9 years old.
    Quote Quote  
  5. >>Then stop using it and stop trying to use it. It's 9 years old.

And you would recommend I use what? I'm not trying to solve a new problem here. The task is to capture Hi8 analog tape, a problem whose solution should be at least 9 years old. Lots of references to VirtualVCR and Virtualdub on this forum, which apparently I have misread. Love to hear as concise an answer as to what I should use.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by cgarai; 8th Apr 2012 at 03:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And you would recommend I use what?
    For what?
    With what?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just to capture Hi8 video via a Pinnacle MovieBox 710-USB. The computer is not state of the art, but should be better than what folks used 9 years ago. Pinnacle Studio 15 (the SW bundled with the MovieBox) looses sync and drops frames capturing to AVI. MPEG2 works OK, but I thought since I was archiving I would try to capture to the highest fidelity format I could. So I came here and to Doom9 to try and figure out whether it is the computer or the software by trying an alternative.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just to capture Hi8 video via a Pinnacle MovieBox 710-USB. The computer is not state of the art, but should be better than what folks used 9 years ago. Pinnacle Studio 15 (the SW bundled with the MovieBox) looses sync and drops frames capturing to AVI. MPEG2 works OK, but I thought since I was archiving I would try to capture to the highest fidelity format I could. So I came here and to Doom9 to try and figure out whether it is the computer or the software by trying an alternative.
    What codec are you using for AVI capture?
    Quote Quote  
  9. P Studio gives me three choices of capture for S-video: DV, M-JPEG, MPEG2. So I have no clue what the actual codec is. When I get a chance to try Vdub with Huffyuv (thankyou for the help on that) I'll let you know how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I've read, all Pinnacle products have audio sync and frame problems, and always did. I've used it myself, but now use it only to create titles and small items in AVI (not capture, which never worked for me). It's not a matter of being 9 years old - mine is older than that, and some of my hardware and software are even older.

M-JPEG and MPEG2 are lossy compressors, so you won't get "fidelity" that way. DV-AVI would be better, but apparently you don't see the huffyuv or lagarith compressors (or you don't have them installed), which are lossless. DV-AVI captures to a YV12 colorspace - not bad, but YUY2 would be better for analog capture.

I don't know if your capture device can be used with VirtualDub capture. VirtualDub can capture to lossless huffyuv or lagarith AVI. But VirtualDub can't recognize every capture adapter in the world. Anyone help us with that?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. M-jpeg on highest setting (20 pic video mjpeg )is pretty close to losless and better than dv and you can chose colorspace easy
    Quote Quote