VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All, hoping someone can help with this; I searched best I could but couldn't find this specific problem -- perhaps it's such a simple solution I'm way over-thinking it...

I have an .avi with 'soft-coded' subtitles, I believe -- when I open the file w/ VLC Player, the subtitles are there but I can go to Video -> Subtitles Track and see that 'Track 1 - English' is selected by default. I can select the Disable option and they're gone, of course.

Now, how can Save this file w/ the default Subtitle Track selection to Disable??

i.e. When I burn the file to a DVD (I use Xilosoft) the sub-titles are there...

Thanks, Group!

Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to disable the subtitles by default for a version of the video to be played on your DVD player, or just a video where the subtitles won't play by default on a software player like VLC? If the latter, hmm... can't remember if VLC has an option to disable subtitle loading by default. (I'm not at a system with VLC installed, at the moment.)

You can load the AVI with the muxed-in (soft) subtitle stream into VirtualDubMod, go to the Streams menu and select the streams list. Find the subtitle stream in the list, and extract it. Delete it from the AVI (work on a copy of the AVI, not the original, just in case), by right-clicking on the subtitle stream in the list and removing/deleting it (yeah, I'm not at a system with VirtualDubMod installed, either, at the moment. ). Then, make sure the audio stream(s), also in the Streams list, are set to Direct Stream Copy (right-click on each of the audio streams, and the option should be there). Set the Video (in the Video menu, IIRC), to Direct Stream Copy, as well, then save the AVI to a new AVI video.
    The resulting video won't have the subtitles playing by default, unless the separate subtitle file you created above has the same name as the video, and your player automatically loads the file. (Example: My Video.avi, My Video.srt) Also, it does seem to be easier for encoders to create selectable softsubs for DVD-Video discs from separate subtitle files, rather than subtitle streams muxed into a video.

I think AVI-Mux GUI also has some features to work with subtitles muxed into an AVI, but I haven't tried it. And, I think you can also simply delete the subtitle track using AVIDemux, but I didn't know whether or not you wanted to keep the subtitles.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would like to burn this .avi to a DVD *without* the subtitles... (So I can watch on DVD player.)

I was hoping I'd be able to open the file, Disable subtitle track, then Save As, for example, but can't figure out how to do...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by twopups View Post
    I would like to burn this .avi to a DVD *without* the subtitles... (So I can watch on DVD player.)

I was hoping I'd be able to open the file, Disable subtitle track, then Save As, for example, but can't figure out how to do...
    Just use whatever tool you wish to encode the video/audio to DVD. De-select or delete the subtitle track when creating your DVD.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks -- I looked in Xilosoft's 'Subtitle' menu but it doesn't seem like there's anything to remove / delete...

I'm confused as to whether this .avi's sub-titles are hard-coded or soft-coded (if there's even a differnece...)

FWIW the .avi doesn't have any additional 'sub-title' files associated with it. (.srt's?)

Does other Burning software have better sub-title management than my Xilosoft??

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use mediaInfo to analyze the stream it should tell you exactly how many streams the avi consist of and what each stream is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can enable/disable the subtitles, they're soft subs. If they're burned into the video/a permanent part of the video image, they're hardsubs. And, as dragonkeeper suggested, knowing what streams are in the video (through MediaInfo) is a good idea.

I suggested extracting the subtitle stream(s) from the AVI, as quite a few DVD creation softwares seem to work better with external subtitle files (as opposed to internal/muxed-in subtitle streams in a video).

You might try AVS2DVD, whose author updates it frequently and posts to these forums. If you do use it, however, be sure to make sure all of the settings are the way you want them; it defaults to creating PAL-format DVDs, for example, so if you need NTSC...
    Other choices include DVD Flick, FAVC and the commercial ConvertX2DVD. IMHO, I don't hold the Xilisoft (sp?) software in high regard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK -- think I understand:

1. Extract / delete soft-subs using VirtualDubMod.
    2. Then burn...

Easy peasy, I think...

Xilisoft DVD Burner was the first DVD burner I bought ($20 at the time) and it's worked flawlessly for a year, now... I am the most basic user, however -- all I do is burn movies for the family -- no advanced editing, menu-systems, etc.

I'll report back and close out this thread...

Cheers, all.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Team, I am an idiot...

This is not an .avi it's a .mkv. Sorry about that. It's a rip of a movie in 1080p so a big file, about 10GB. Great resolution and sound on my PC, which usually translates well to our big-screen...

So when I plugged the .mkv into VirtualDubMod, the program crashed. (Three times so far...)

The exact error message reads:

"An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'VirtualDubMod'"

I downloaded the latest version of VDM -- I'm going to try an older version...

Suggestions??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I seriously started to ask you that since you said it had softsubs. Avi with softsubs is not something you see everyday. Use MKVmerge instead. Load the file into MKVmerge and de-select the tracks you do not want. Then save as a new MKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you do have an MKV, don't use VirtualDubMod - its MKV support is very minimal, and outdated. (You can frameserve the MKV into VDubMod, though I doubt you want to spend time learning to use AVISynth, at the moment. Also, the latest VirtualDub can take MKVs as input with the MKV plugin.)

As you're trying to create a DVD-Video disc, though, just use one of the programs I mentioned, above. If necessary, you can use mkvtoolnix+MKVExtractGUI-2 (install both to the same directory) to try to extract the subtitle streams from the MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  12. VOI-freakin'-LA!!!

Voila!

Got it -- thanks, you two. For others who run across this thread the solution was:

1. Load .mkv into MKVMerge in the MKVToolNix
    2. De-select the 'Sub-title Track'
    3. Save Output file...

Thanks, again!

Let's close this thread out...
    Quote Quote