VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. im tries divfix++ , div repair , virtualdub , and nothing plays the files except for vlc and when i open the file is says "Because this AVI file index is broken or missing, seeking will not work correctly. VLC won't repair your file but can temporary fix this problem by building an index in memory." i click on build index then play once its done the file plays just fine audio goo video good no freeze show video time i really need to fix these files so i can convert and burn to a dvd oh and these are videos from my digital camera a Canon PowerShot SD850 IS i transfer them to my pc with a usb also the videos play just fine when i access the camera through the pc but i noticed once i transfer videos they play with windows media player but only sound works no video and again i play it with vlc and it works just fine can some one help i really dont want to loose my home videos i figure since vlc can temporarily fix it then their must be a way to do it permanent any software or someone local that can help with this need help asap ????
    Quote Quote  
  2. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you try to open it with avidemux?
    You can automate some chekings when
    opening a file, and if posible it could
    fix the index.

Wish you luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it is only an index problem, virtualdub should repair it. File -Open video file- tick the check box,ask for extended options after this dialog -select your avi and click open. You will get another dialog box-check the rederive keyframe flags, and click ok. (Would be a good idea to keep a snapshot of the dialog box for future reference, as the dialog box has more options.) Then, save the avi with a different name. The saved avi should be trouble free.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i just downloaded avidemux gonna try that ........... i tried virtualdub again like how mgh suggested but when i try to open the file it says "virtualdub error the file is of unknown or unsupported file type"
    Quote Quote  
  5. just tried avidemux but again could not open the file i might be doin something wrong
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You do have some sort of problem. That camera should output M-JPEG format, 640 x 480 @ 30fps, probably with PCM audio. Nothing complicated there. AviDemux or VirtualDub should be able to handle it. You might try dropping one of the files into MediaInfo and post a screen shot of the 'tree view' here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a PowerShot myself. That thingy records in 640x480 @ 30 fps, just like redwudz mentioned. I use XMediaRecode to convert to AVC/h.264 or alike. Works like a charm.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  8. heres a screen shot from media info
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot of aquarium avi.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	11850  

Quote Quote  
  9. i just tried xmediarecode but it cant even open up the file i need help on how to repair it i will attach the video file if anybody can repair it please let me know asap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well then...let's see...or -if that's a big file- open it with a hex editor and post a screen showing the first, let's say 128 bytes.
    Last edited by leghorn; 7th Apr 2012 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will VLC play it, without the error, directly from the camera? If so, play it and hit the record button on VLC and try working with the copy created by VLC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly, you wanted to upload the file...
    Quote Quote  
  13. couldnt upload all my files are too big thought i could ...... I got hex editor hxd but never used it before how do i display the 128 bytes and post it
    Quote Quote  
  14. the file is too big its 118 mb thats the smallest i got thats broken
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    Will VLC play it, without the error, directly from the camera? If so, play it and hit the record button on VLC and try working with the copy created by VLC.
    and recent video ive taken and transfer to pc plays perfectly but some of my old videos from last year dont want to play
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CanonPSSD850is View Post
    but some of my old videos from last year dont want to play
    Hi
    MEncoder can be used to create new avi files with rebuilt indexes.
    Like this:-

Code:
    mencoder -idx filename.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -o new_filename.avi
    Quote Quote  
  17. is it the one with smplayer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CanonPSSD850is View Post
    is it the one with smplayer
    It's part of the MPlayer package from here ---> http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
    Last edited by bat999; 9th Apr 2012 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote