VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I have a homevideo clip that ive restoratet in virtualdub and compresset in lagarith avi.

Now i would like to have it on dvd offcource Which program is best to author in so i dont lose alot of quality again ? And how many hours should i max put on 1 dvd disc, again to prevent quality loss.

I mean i have this clip that is 30 min, im thinking i might be able to have more then 30 min on a disc without losing to much?

I have TMPGENC Authoring Works 5 but dunno if thats anygood?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD has a maximum bitrate of 9800 kbps. It is usual to find dvd authored to a maximum of 8000 kbps which equates to one hour of video. That will guarantee the minimum of quality loss for your source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If tmpgenc has a 2 pass encoding mode, use it. Haven't tried that specific program but only one of the ones I did try had it.

DVD authoring/encoding programs are basically targeting the output DVD compatible files to the size of the disc. You can't get good quality with reliable sync without it.

The one that did have that option was avstodvd. However, I yanked it because it uses non microsoft codec packs/splitters/filters. Ie. it won't work with the Windows ones. I won't touch that kind of stuff anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  4. TMPGEnc supports both single pass constant bitrate mode and 2 pass variable bitrate mode for MPEG 2 encoding. If you only have 30 minutes of video to put on a DVD use constant bitrate mode at 8000 to 9000 kbps. There's no need to waste time on a 2 pass encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hoser rob
    The one that did have that option was avstodvd. However, I yanked it because it uses non microsoft codec packs/splitters/filters. Ie. it won't work with the Windows ones. I won't touch that kind of stuff anymore.
    I don't mean to go too far off topic here but how did you come to that conclusion? I use avstodvd relatively frequently on my windows vista pc. I've never had a problem with it. I always recommend avstodvd for dvd creation.

Edit - I just happened to pull it up in the tools section and saw your user feedback post. So it might be a win 7 issue? Like I said everything seems to be just fine on my vista.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    The one that did have that option was avstodvd. However, I yanked it because it uses non microsoft codec packs/splitters/filters. Ie. it won't work with the Windows ones.
    That's an advantage, not a disadvantage.
    Quote Quote