VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

First off, I hope I'm posting in the correct section...wasn't exactly sure where to post.

I have an old fat PS3 on the newest firmware and every once in a while it has problems playing back certain AVIs. The audio is about 1 second ahead of the video - it doesn't seem like much but enough to make it un-watchable. The AVI files play fine on my PC so it's not the file itself. I've also tried playing them on another DVD player and same problem. So it must be something with DVD players in general and these certain AVI files that don't agree.

I loaded them up in GSpot but I'm not really sure what to look for. I can't find anything different between the ones that work good or the ones that have the audio problems. Let me know if you need more detailed info about the AVIs. Has anyone experienced this before?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's most likely the way the audio was encoded,if its vbr then thats whats causing the problem,the computer is far more forgiving in playing these types of files,nothing wrong with the dvd players.

The way to fix it is to re-encode the audio to cbr,theres a lot of info on the forums on how to do this if you need further help.

Thread moved to audio forum.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just tried played 3 AVIs that had VBR audio. Two of the movies had the out-of-sync audio but one was playing just fine. So it does seem like the PS3 is picky about VBR audio...but only sometimes?

Either way, I'll try converting to CBR and see what happens.
    Last edited by tanger; 3rd Apr 2012 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tanger View Post
    I just tried played 3 AVIs that had VBR audio. Two of the movies had the out-of-sync audio but one was playing just fine. So it does seem like the PS3 is picky about VBR audio...but only sometimes?

Either way, I'll try converting to CBR and see what happens.
    VBR audio is like going shopping for an HDTV, looking at 2 stores and finding that 1 of the stores sells the TV for one cent less than the other and you actually get excited about saving that 1 cent. If I could go back in time, I would stop the MP3 guys from coming up with VBR audio. The space savings are almost insignificant but the chance of sync problems on playback is quite large.

You're not going to want to hear this, but the PS3 is actually a pretty crappy media player. It has a lot of deficiencies as you found out. VBR MP3 problems are actually fairly common, but then again I could point to several cheap DVD players that rarely or maybe never have issues with it. It's hard to say what the PS3's specific issue is. Maybe the "good" movie has a higher average bit rate than the ones with problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think I need some help with the process of re-encoding to CBR. Correct me if Im wrong...

1. Load file in VirtualDub
    2. Set audio to Full Prcoessing Mode
    3. Set video to direct stream copy
    4. Set audio compression to MP3 CBR (Do I need anything here like LAME MP3?)
    5. Save AVI

is this correct?
    Last edited by tanger; 3rd Apr 2012 at 21:44.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ps3 isn't that bad for playing media files,just that it doesn't play as many types and needs to play them in fat32 by usb.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I got it working now...this is what I did. Had to extract audio from AVI with VirtualDub -> Loaded WAV into Goldwave to save as MP3 -> remux with VirtualDub. This was the process I used but is there a 'better' way...either faster or more efficient?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can install LAME ACM and use it in Virtualdub using the method you mentioned earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There was another thread (might have even been another forum) where a poster had a similar problem with the PS3 and AVI audio sync. Some had audio sync issues, while some wouldn't play at all. For reasons I don't understand remuxing the AVIs (resaving them as new AVIs without re-encoding) using AVI-MuxGUI fixed the problem. He tried the same thing using VirtualDub but they still wouldn't play correctly. I guess there's something in the way AVI-MuxGUI saves AVIs which the PS3 likes.

The problem mightn't be caused my having VBR MP3 audio as such, but rather by the way it's muxed.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 4th Apr 2012 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote