VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi i'm new, this look liked a really good forum so i decided to sign up and give it a shot? Yahoo is total garbage and i'm a technical guy, but when it comes to this. I'm new to it. I know EVERYTHING there is to know about computers but one day i decided to do something and i had now idea how to do it, here it is:

I want to connect my PS3 to my monitor but after i plugged everything in, i switch from analog, to digital on my menu. It gives me a black screen for 3 seconds and then goes back to analog view. I plugged everything in! I already had a WORKING HDMI cable so i decided to just buy a dvi to hdmi adapter. I plugged one end of the HDMI cable into the ps3, the other end into the hdmi part of the dvi to hdmi adapter. and then the dvi part, into my monitor. After i did everything with brand new items. I go to my menu, go to input select, select digital. Gives me a black screen for 3 seconds. I spent 40 dollars on these god damn cables and it's not working! Can someone please help me..
    My monitor is the HP w19b, Pretty old monitor but it has a dvi port so it should be working, BUT IT'S NOT!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looks like your monitor doesn't support TV refresh rates. Ie, 1920x1080i or 1280x702p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the ps3 is set to send video out hdmi and the monitor does not show a picture it is most likely because the monitor it too old and not hdcp compliant. you'll need a new monitor to get it to work.

[edit] oops should have checked the specs like jag. it only does 1440 x 900 resolution.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your ps3 is set to 1920x180 and your monitor cant handle it then try and set it to 1280x720 through your tv then try again.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What do you mean? A PS3 doesn't have a resolution, it automaticly just fits to your tv. There is no option to change it.

edit: Someone please answer! I've been at this for a week now i really want to play my PS3 on my monitor!
    Last edited by fran-man56; 3rd Apr 2012 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fran-man56 View Post
    What do you mean? A PS3 doesn't have a resolution, it automaticly just fits to your tv. There is no option to change it.

edit: Someone please answer! I've been at this for a week now i really want to play my PS3 on my monitor!
    Yes it does,go to settings/display settings /video output settings and select custom and make sure 720p is checked,if you still don't get a picture then you need a new monitor as previously mentioned.Every blu-ray player/game system has a resolution output.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Could be lack of HDCP too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What's that?

edit: and how can i make it more powerful? You said it might be lacking it so, i'm guessing you need to make it more powerful?
    Quote Quote  
  9. HDCP is the encryption used by HDMI/DVI connections to protect content. I believe the PS3 requires HDCP even if you're only using it for gaming. The manual for your monitor doesn't show support for 1280x720p or 1920x1080i. The manual doesn't mention HDCP anywhere so it probably doesn't support HDCP. I think you're out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. My monitor supports 1280x720p though..
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it doesn't support HDCP then you wont get a picture since it blocks the output so people can't use hdmi for copy purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Your monitor's max resolution is 1440x900 and it probably doesn't support HDCP:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00739863&tmp_task=prodinfoCategor...roduct=3194520
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks everyone, even though i never resolved my problem atleast I know what's causing it because I was really stressing about it. Lock topic
    Quote Quote